Hot and cold Tyler

“Thanks officer,” I said as me and Tyler got out of the cops’ car. A towing truck had brought Hercules' corpse along.

Help had finally come when it was around five in the morning. Someone in the neighborhood had informed them. We two had to hear an earful from the cops about safe driving and how high teenagers form 58.71% of the total people who are behind the wheel in road accident cases.

Seriously, they sounded more like teachers than cops! Might as well had made me write ‘I won’t sleep while driving’ a hundred times!

“Thank you, sir,” dad called out as the cops pulled out of our driveway. The cops had told dad what all had happened and that he should be grateful that we weren’t hurt.

The temperature suddenly dropped. The rising sun had never looked this gloomy. Funny, how dad's mood was affecting the air so much. He was on full-on mourning mode by now.

Dad moved to the now dead Hercules. He got down on his knees and started sobbing. “My car…my baby…Why did you do this Hazel? How could you do this?!”

Mom patted his shoulder sympathetically. “Honey, it’s okay. It was too old! You had to let it go someday!” Mom consoled him but dad continued his wailing.

Oh boy! If this goes on for a while more, I might have to attend Hercules’ funeral soon.

Gotta get a black dress!

Mom made him stand up and started walking him to the door. But before leaving dad turned around to face us. “Tyler I think you should go home,” he muttered and looked at Tyler seriously. Dad’s eyes then fell on me and he gave me a cold glare. “You owe me some serious explanation young lady.”

Tyler looked at me with apprehension clear on his face. I looked at my dad and then back at Tyler.

That was it. I finally flipped.

I grabbed Tyler’s hand and got down on my knees as I started begging him, “PLEASE DON’T GO! YOU SAID YOU’LL STAY! YOU CAN’T LEAVE-“

Dad grabbed my arm and pulled me up while he started dragging me inside the house. “Tyler you liar! How could you?! Dad-“

Dad clicked his tongue and rolled his eyes. "Can you cut the drama?"

Ha! Look who's talking!!

The door was closed shut and I had to go through an hour of strenuous scolding. I was looking at mum again and again when dad would get nostalgic about his late lovely car and look at a distance.

“You know,” he said slowly, “I was seventeen when your grandpa gave it to me. Your mom used to love it and we’d go on long drives. Remember, hun?” He looked at her with a faint smile.

“Of course, Keith,” she said softly and patted his shoulder again while shaking her head vigorously and grimacing at me.  Dad had of course already looked away. I cracked up on seeing that.

Well, as you can tell, except for dad, no one in our family was a big Hercules fan. Not even Grandpa! He had told me once, that the only reason he had given it to dad was that that he himself wanted to get rid of it! But dad didn’t know.

“Hazel Justice! Stop laughing! It’s not funny!” he said sternly as he glared at me. “To your room. Right now! You have school in an hour!”

What! School? NO!

“But dad, I’m sleep-“

“Ta ta ta ta ta!” he said as he cut me off and motioned me to move upstairs.