"Lord Petrov" I said, extending him a semblance of courtesy. He bowed slightly and joined me. I was on my guard, ready to withdraw my stake at a moments notice. "You have not attacked me yet, I am surprised" he said.

"Perhaps I have further use for you" I told him pointedly. He laughed, it sounded like music, so tuneful. I kept reminding myself these were all tricks, simply designed to lure prey. Just as wolves were beautiful, they were deadly. "I dread to think what" he said, feigning mock horror.

"Do not mock me, Lord Petrov" I snapped.

He quickly changed the subject, "How are you enjoying the ball?" 

"It is fine, and you?"

"Rather tedious if I tell the truth, you are the most interesting person I have spoken to all night" he told me.

"You must not have met many interesting people" was my reply.

"But I have you see, I know a great many people, and I can usually work them out, make an accurate judge of character, but with you, nothing. You are a mystery, Miss Everlyn, and that is what makes you intriguing"

I stayed silent, walking near the house, knowing it would not be wise to venture to far into the dark, not knowing what might be lurking in it. 

"Do you have nothing to say?" he asked me.

"There was nothing too comment on" I said, remaining aloof, if I could draw him in further, it would give me a chance to question him. 

"I'm surprised, this seems like a rarity since I first met you"
"You don't know me" I spat venomously. I regretted it as in a flash I was pinned against the wall, his hands resting on either side of my head, his face inches from mine. "I could kill you in an instant, you know that, don't you?" 

"But you can't" I told him, freeing my knife whilst he was distracted, after the disaster with the stake, I was not willing to risk a repeat. "And why can't I?" he said, his eyes narrowing, never leaving mine. I did not answer, instead, taking the knife in my free hand I lunged for his throat, slitting it in a move that would have killed a human. He snarled in outrage, and I watched in horrid fascination as the wound knitted itself together. He was still leaning over me, the blood dripping over my dress and skin. "You little fool!" he seethed. I smiled sickly. He grabbed the hand with the knife, twisting my wrist painfully to the point I could not stop the gasp that escaped my lips. 

With the hand not pinned in his, I punched him squarely in the jaw. It must have had some force as his head bent and he freed my hand enough for me to wrench it out his grasp and leap out the way. 

He tried to grab me but I moved too quickly, balancing on the edge of the stone ledge, below me was a ten foot drop into the gardens, one I would not likely survive. "Make another move and I jump" I told him. 

"How did you work it out?" he said coldly.

"You really need to cover your tracks more carefully next time" I told him.

"Then you know you'll die last" he said, smiling grimly.

"I do not intead to die by your hand" I told him defiantly.

"Do you have a choice?" he said, stepping towards me. I put one foot over the back of the ledge, trying to remain steady so I would not fall accidentally. 

"One more move and i'll jump" I warned, a repeat of my earlier words. 

"I would catch you" he said.

I had the knife in my hand and I raised it too my throat, "Do not test me, Lord Petrov" I said darkly, pressing the blade against my flesh. "Slayers do not take their own lives" he scoffed.

"Are you willing to gamble on that?" 

He sighed, and stepped away from me, "Come down from the ledge, Miss Everlyn" 

I did not move, which angered him. "I stepped away, now come down"

I laughed, "If I come down, what's to stop you trying to take me again, and I assure you I have no intention of becoming a hostage"
"You wouldn't be a hostage, that requires me to want to trade you" he said.

"Then I'd be a prisoner, something I also do not intend to become" 

"Then we are at an impasse" he said dryly.

"I could just wait for the sun to rise" I told him. His eyes darkened, I knew that this had struck a nerve. "You think you are rather clever, don't you Miss Everlyn?" he said.

"I don't think it, I know it" I answered snarkily.

"And you lectured me on modesty once?" he tutted, shaking his head. I couldn't help but admire the way his hair fell out the tie and around his face. "You really would make an excellent vampire"

Within a flash he darted towards me, hoping to catch me off guard, and with blind faith, I jumped from the ledge, praying I would survive the fall intact. I heard a scream meaning someone had seen me, though that scream was quickly silenced by a curse and a sickening snap of a neck. 

I swore and heard the crack of my legs, though thankfully the weren't broken. Years of training and enabled the jump and I'd landed nimbly on the pads of my feet. I saw Petrov jump from the ledge and land in front of me. He clapped slowly, sarcastically. "I didn't think you had it in you" he told me, "very impressive" 

I kept the blade at my throat. Suddenly, we were inches apart as he prised the knife from my grasp. "We both know you won't kill yourself" he told me. His arms wound around me and I lifted my leg slowly, freeing my stake before slamming into him as hard as I could. "You just won't give up!" he growled, I jumped behind him, trying to catch him by surprise. He would not cease though, and I eventually saw only one option. 

Run.

With lightening speed I sprinted up the stairs, Petrov fastly pursuing. I avoided the scene caused by the body, and ran through the house, not stopping and ignoring the screams caused by my bloody dress, just keeping my face hidden. 

I could not see Petrov anywhere, and worried he was near me. Outside where many carriage, and leaping into a free one, I practically threw coins at the driver. Shouting Emma's address too them and telling them to hurry. "What happened Miss?"

"I was attacked!" I told them.

"We must go to the police!" he cried.

"No! Please, just take me to that address, and don't stop for anyone" I said.

The driver swore but clucked the horses on. The sound of hooves beating frantically against paving stones rang in my ears, my head spun as the adrenaline wore off, leaving me feeling deflated and tired, though I was far from out of danger. We made it onto Emma's street, tearing round the corner, outside I heard a squeal of hooves and a cry from the driver, or was it a plea? "Please" he seemed to beg, the rest was unintelligible, as he howled and his body fell limp at the side of the carriage. 

Alert once more, I leapt from the carriage and didn't turn to see Felix Petrov feeding, I just ran, as soon as he noticed my departure, he smiled and ran after me with supernatural speed.

My muscles ached, my joints weary but I pushed through the pain and slammed my fists against the door of the house. A butler opened it and I rushed inside, Petrov stopped at the top of the entrance and did not follow. The staff knew not to question anything about me, it had been told to them, and I was informed Miss Warden was now gone to bed. 

Sighing with the relief of relative safety, I climbed the stairs and shut the door to my room. Looking out the window, I saw a figure stood, looking at me, I knew it was him. He cocked his head to the side, and in a flash I closed the curtains, the metal screeching in protest as I did. Checking the door and window were  locked, I undressed, using water in the basin and a damp cloth to wipe the blood from my skin. 

I lay awake in bed, wide eyed with my stake clutched to my chest in my right hand, my sword grasped firmly in my left. I did not sleep, all too conscious that I would never be safe again.