Chapter 36: "Saying Goodbye"

Start from the beginning

There was another knock and Rufus poked his head in. "Kate, Harriet sent me to find you. Apparently, you're fired."

To his surprise, Jack found the memorial service far from painful. In fact, by the end he was almost enjoying himself. More than three hundred guests filed into the grand ballroom, facing a simple riser and podium, behind which the family sat. Graciously, Jack was seated at the far end of the front row, out of view of almost everyone. One after another, a long parade of publishers, producers, and politicians eulogized Marcus Ward, reading prepared remarks recounting single run-in's they had with the famous author. The fond memories they shared were much more fond than Jack believed, especially the one actor who teared up recounted Marcus's caring attention to detail and resolve for authenticity.

In fact, as the last eulogy was being read, Jack found himself smiling, thinking of just how much his father would have hated this. A soldier of Guildron, a protector of the realm, being remembered by fantasy writers and Hollywood actors. And the mourners, all praising Marcus's imagination and originality, had no idea that they were basically honoring a glorified history teacher.

Sitting beside him, Rufus saw Jack smiling and leaned over, whispering, "If only they knew."

Jack had to stifle a laugh, at which Kate gave him a concerned look. "Is something funny?"

Hilarious, he thought. "I'm just remembering something about dad."

In front of the podium, a poster-sized photo of Marcus's head shot looked out over the crowd, a photo Jack had seen numerous time before. The author's lip was twisted in a knowing grin, like he was struggling to keep some secret – a secret Jack finally understood. This whole ceremony was one big inside joke, the punchline known only to Jack and his father. Even Rufus, the refugee who hadn't seen either of them in years, couldn't fully understand the irony of the moment.

The entire world mourned the loss of its favorite writer but no one really knew who had died.

"I said you didn't have to act sad," Kate whispered to Jack. "I wasn't expecting you to enjoy yourself so much."

"It wasn't that," Jack said behind a polite but fake smile. They stood in the atrium, thanking guests as they filed out of the ballroom. "I can't explain it but I feel a lot better."

"Jackson, I'm so sorry," Wesley Roth, the producer of The War of the Roads films, said, extending his hand. "Marcus will be greatly missed."

"Thank you, Wes," Jack said, summoning a very solemn tone. The produced nodded to Kate and left.

"So I guess we're heading back tomorrow," Kate said.

Jack's smile didn't waved but he threw her a silent glance.

"Graduation?" Kate said.

"Mr. Ward, your father was one of a greats," Agatha Tyler, a New York Times book critic, said, bowing her head.

"He appreciated all of the kind review you gave his books," Jack said, nodding back at her.

"I mean, I understand if you want to skip," Kate said. "I know you hate being the center of attention and I'm pretty sure you're the only thing anyone's talking about."

"Yeah, I might stay her for a little bit," Jack said, his palms sweating at the thought of walking across the stage in front of his entire school. "Besides, I think Harriet has some executor things I need to sign."

"But you're still going to American University?"

"Jackson, my deepest sympathies," said a man who Jack had never seen before. He was short and thin, with a pair of beady eyes that were comically enlarged by a pair of unfashionable wireframe glasses. "But I know Guildron is in good hands."

"Thanks," Jack said, shaking his hand. "Have we met?"

"Once, but you were in diapers," the man said, laughing just long enough to realize no one else was. "I'm Carter Able."

"Carter!" Jack said. "Yes, dad talked about you. Aren't you a lawyer with the publisher?"

"Yes, I manage War of the Roads on behalf of Macintosh & White Publishing. I only met personally with Marcus a few times but he could certainly make an impact."

"He could at that. And you said something about Guildron being in good hands?"

"Yes, I just wanted to assure you that Macintosh & White is dedicated to continuing the groundbreaking saga your father introduced, with his unwavering dedication to excellent storytelling." Carter talked like he was reading a press release.

"Yeah," Jack said, scanning the crowd for Harriet. She gave him a smile but, upon seeing Carter, quickly rushed over. "Carter! I'm glad you could make it."

"I had to pay my respects," the lawyer said, looking up at the bronze statue of Cera.

"And assure me that Guildron is in good hands," Jack said, but his gaze stayed on Harriet.

Carter didn't see the dirty look Harriet gave him but her voice was the essence of civility. "Well then, I see everyone is up to speed. Carter, maybe we can meet privately and go over any follow-up questions Jack might have."

"Of course!" Carter nodded. "I can mingle for a bit."

"I'm free now," Jack said.