Chapter 17

After weeks of regular life without him, I realized life without Connor around wasn’t as fun.  The lights felt dimmed and the colors less vibrant. School became just a lonely job.  I was wearily walking down the hallway when  Bridget sprinted up to me.

“What do you want?” I snapped.

“Look, no need to be rude here,” she said with a squeaky tone, continuing on,

“that was like ages ago. Connor has a new girlfriend, that’s what I came to tell you.”

I rolled my eyes at her childish ways. Of course, that wasn’t true. I would never believe her again.

She walked away, and then out of all people, Annie came up to me.

“Cara, I’ve missed you. I can’t pretend to be mad anymore. During these times of difficulty for both of us, I just can’t stand to not have you around. Please accept my sincere apology for acting like a little devil,” she said, pulling me into a hug.

“Annie, I’ve missed you too.” I said. Then we went back to our same ways. Annie was always loud and talkative which was nice to have around.

“Cara, did you hear Connor has a new girlfriend?” she said with a sad look in her eyes.

“That’s actually true? I thought Bridget was lying to me,” I said.

“Unfortunately, yes. Her name is Courtney,” she said.

“I’ve never met a Courtney before.” I said searching my memory.

“She’s a sophomore,” Annie said.

“Never would I ever have thought Connor would date a sophomore,” I said.

“I didn’t think so either. It will be okay. I’m here now,” she said as she put  her arm around my shoulders.

“I’m so happy you’re back Annie,” I said.

She smiled and we walked to science.

It had been somewhat awkward around Connor since we broke up, but now it suddenly was unbearable to be around him. During first period science, I couldn’t stop thinking about how he was dating some sophomore girl.

I wasn’t jealous was I? We broke up a  month ago.

    During break, I finally saw “Courtney.” She was a tall blonde who had a movie star look to her. She strutted the halls with similar personality traits as Sky. And for some reason, she thought she was cool enough to run around with the juniors!  Well, at least Connor agreed with her. Sky came running up to me with an indescribable look to her.

“Cara. What is going on here?” she pointed to Connor and Courtney.

“I have no idea,” I said.

“What are we going to do?” Annie asked.

“Ignore it,” I said.

Sky’s long black hair of evil didn’t look so evil anymore.  I was happy she was on my side.

“Well, Cara, I guess you are over him.” Annie said.

Annie was wrong about this. I still always liked him, but I guess that wasn’t a possibility ever again.  I thought I could hear my heart breaking.