Chapter 14

I had to talk to Annie. She used to be my best friend. I found the chance in the bathroom after third period.

“Annie, are you and Blake going out?” I asked, using all the courage I could muster.

“Why are you asking?” She said back.

“I care about you, Annie. We used to be best friends, remember?” I said back.

“That was the past,” she said.

I felt anger  towards Blake boiling up. After all, it was his fault that this had happened.

“Annie. What happened?” I asked.

She looked shocked at my ignorance as she crafted her response.

“Connor happened. You completely abandoned me.  You ran to Brookie and Bridget as your friends,” she snaked back.

“It’s Brooklyn,” I corrected. “ You can’t blame Connor for this. We still hung out until Blake happened.”

“I guess so,” She relented with an attitude.

“Well, you can tell everyone I tried to be friends with you,” I said as I turned to head out of the bathroom.

    When I opened the door, I was greeted by a familiar face. One of calculation and fury, it was Sky Holloway.

“Don’t tell me you were listening,” I said.

“I can’t say I wasn’t,” she sneered.

“Look, I wouldn’t waste your time on that idiotic dumb girl. Those are the types of girls guys like to manipulate. I used to be one of those types,” she said.

I looked into her icy blue eyes and realized there might be more to Sky Holloway than I thought.

“You’re the type of girl I envy. You’re beautiful, popular, top in the class, and you have the cutest and most popular guy as a boyfriend,” she said.

“Everyone envies you Sky,” I said back.

“It used to be that way. Did Brooklyn and Bridget tell you why they kicked me out of our group?” she asked.

I nodded.

“There’s more to the story than what they would tell you, Cara,” she said, brushing her hands through her long black hair.

“Well, why don’t you tell me?” I asked.

She nodded and we walked outside and down the sidewalk of the school.

“I must start when I reigned over the grade. I used to be on top,” she said.

“I had been popular since middle school, but Brooklyn and Bridget were tired of my ways. They claimed I was annoying, yeah right! Remember Katie? Connor’s little crush. Yeah, she used to hang out with us. Before she left, Bridget had convinced her she could be more popular than me. And the three of them schemed together to do me in.  None of the guys knew what they were doing to ME.  Of all people, they messed with the queen.  I found myself alone.  The rest of the grade whispered to their friends that I had left the alphas because I was too cool, but it really was because of Bridget, Brooklyn, and Katie. I’ve stayed out of the alphas since freshman year. Let me tell you, Katie was cruelly mean. You’ve probably heard that she kissed Blake, Connor’s best friend at the time.  I wondered about Connor’s character for awhile. I thought he wanted to date a rude girl, but he was really just young and stupid.  Clueless. He probably won’t tell you this, but it was me who saved him from her. I convinced the whole school she had another boyfriend at a different school and when he heard my rumor  he wouldn’t give her the time of the day. I guess my skill of spreading rumors came into the playing field here.  I’ve always thought Connor should have a nice girl because he was the only one who was nice to me during that time. So when Connor brought you around, I was concerned you were like Katie.  But you aren’t like her at all.  Cara, I must tell you, you are quite the catch,” she stated boldly.

“Sky—” I started as she cut me off.

“Shocking right? I’m not as cruel as they’ll tell you I am,” she said with a wink.

She left without me having time to respond.

Sky Holloway actually did something kind? Never have I ever pondered that she would ever be nice. No way.