Chapter 11

Tonight was the night that Connor wanted to introduce me to his parents. Nervous was quite the understatement as I drove up to his house. It was a gated home that was huge. It’s dark brick exterior and perfect lawn made it look even more imposing.  I parked my red GLK in the front and walked towards the door. Connor met me on his doorstep.

“Hey,” he said.

“Connor, I’m so nervous,” I said as I walked closer towards him.

“It’ll be fine, come on,” he said, taking my hand.

    We walked inside. We were alone so I took the time to examine my surroundings. The room we were walking in had crowns and pageant awards in a large case.

“My mom was a former Miss Washington,” he said nonchalantly.

Gulp.

His parents were busy talking about business in the kitchen as we approached them.

“So this is the Cara we’ve been hearing about,” his dad said, shaking my hand.

“Nice to meet you,” I said.

“Wow, you are truly beautiful, Cara,” his Mom said.

She still looked as though she had just walked off the runway except she was a bit older now. Her eyes gave me a stare that didn’t seem so harsh and judgmental as his dad’s.

“Thank you,” I said.

Connor showed me around his house. Each room was bigger than the other, and it was surprisingly inviting. At dinner, a chef put a grilled chicken breast with asparagus in front of me.

“So Cara, what sports do you play?” his dad asked.

“Soccer and Track,” I said.

“Very nice. I’m guessing you play travel soccer?” he asked.

“I used to, but school kind of took over my weekends,” I said.

He seemed displeased with my answer.

After small talk and much interrogation, Connor’s dad looked over towards his Mom.

“Nice meeting you, Cara. Unfortunately, I must run to the office,” his dad said with a smile.

Connor had told me that he owned a major company, but I didn’t remember what kind of company it was.

“W-why do you have to go?” Connor’s mom said as she stood up abruptly. “Will anyone else be there?”

“Connor, did you feed those ridiculous mongrel dogs?” his dad bellowed.

Connor’s face had a nervous expression, one that I had never seen before.

“No, sir. I just got home from football a second ago,” Connor tried to coax him.

“You are the most irresponsible and spoiled son ever,” he spitted towards Connor.

Connor’s face was angry with a twinge of sadness that only I could notice. I could read Connor like a book.

“Dad,” he tried.

“If you don’t get a grip on your actions, I’m going to be taking away some of those freedoms  I’ve graced you with,” he shouted.

“And that car parked outside will be coming with me soon enough. That football game the other night, your passes were horrible. Your grades could be higher-”

Before he could finish, Connor bolted out the door, then we heard a door slam.

“Connor Steele Andrews! If you don’t come back here, I’ll take that car now,” his dad raged into the empty corridor.

Then his dad raced out the door behind him. I now felt really awkward.

“It’s okay, Honey. They’ve done this before,” his mom said with eerie calm.

“Excuse me,” I said as I left the room.

    I ran up the stairs to find Connor. His dad was long gone, and my heart melted when I saw Connor alone in his room. He was laying on his bed tossing a football.

“Come in,” he said, hearing my movements.

I walked towards him as he sat up on his bed. He patted the surface for me to sit beside him.

“I’m sorry Connor,” I said.

He put his arm around me and looked straight across at the wall. I said earlier I could read him like a book. Well, not in this case.

“I don’t get it. Why does my dad do that?” he said.

“Connor, I’m pretty for sure you know why,” I said as I saw the expression on his face.

“I’ve never told anyone this before. I trust you, so I expect this to be between us,” he said, now his face was a deadpan.

“Okay,” I said.

“My dad had an affair many years ago, before I was born. My mom knows about it, and she always questions where he’s going because of it. She doesn’t trust him which makes him mad, so he takes it out on me,” he said.

“I’m sorry Connor,” I said, giving him a hug.

“You wondered why I didn’t date girls. I didn’t want a relationship like my parents’, but with you, Cara, I took a chance. I’m happy that I did,” Connor said.

“Me too, Connor,” I said.

I guess Connor Andrews wasn’t Mr. Perfect Life.