-fiftysix--

--fiftysix-

I KNEW IT was him in a heartbeat. 

His words went over my head; all that mattered was that I was speaking to my father for the first time in 10 months. Every once ounce of heartache was numbed to a silence in those moments. 

"Pip? Pip is that you?" 

"Dad, it's me!" I confirmed. 

Charleston moved his hand to my lower back. I looked to him, overwhelmed with an impossible relief, as he was gazing down at me with a matching expression. 

"How are you? How's everything? What's it like in The Dormir? Do you feel okay?" He was flooding me with questions, which I should have expected, really, but all I wanted was to just talk. Hear him and my brother, let something be real and good just for a moment without mention of this awful place. 

With a sigh, he cut himself off. "Too many questions." I laughed along with him. At least he figured it out. "I'm truly sorry that it's taken so long to talk to you, Pip. We've wanted to every day you've been in there, but I'm sure you know by now that we couldn't." 

I nodded, realizing he couldn't see me. "Roughly." I answered. 

"How are you? Really, Pip. We've missed you." 

"I've missed you too, dad." 

"Ah!" I could hear his smile over the radio. "So you didn't forget me!" 

"No, dad. Not you." A second too late, I regretted my words. I felt so guilty having this conversation in front of Charleston, as though it was belittling him to something to replaceable in my life. 

He quietly slipped away from me and I thought for sure that I had added another bruise to his soul. I looked to Ava wondering if her expression would confirm my fears - if she seemed taken aback by my words enough for it to mean that they had hurt him, but she wasn't looking my way. 

I turned my attention back to the radio, torn between Charleston - always, and the gift of finally talking to my father again. I wasn't sure if I made the right choice, something that was now a common doubt in my mind. 

"What about your brother?" My dad asked me. "Were you lucky enough to forget him?" He teased. I knew he meant nothing but lighthearted humor,  but all I could remember was the conversation I had shared with MiKinley the other week; I said to him that I 'think I had forgotten him a little bit', which I didn't at the time understand how it was possible. 

I still remembered MiKinley's response: 'everyone forgets'. And it was true. Despite me telling my dad that I had remembered my brother, there was a part of me that knew it wasn't complete honesty. After all, there were some things about my father that I couldn't recall, and my already faded memories of my mother felt more and more distant every day. 

"I want to see you." I registered that my dad was already speaking, but I wasn't processing his words. I needed to get it out of me, and I couldn't even wait until he had finished his sentence. 

"I'm sorry, dad. I know there's a plan and I know a lot of people are depending on it. But please. Can I see you?" 

I didn't receive an answer from him. Someone came up behind me: Charleston. He moved around to step in front of me, an expecting expression on his features. 

I tried the radio again. "Dad... Please come back. Martin? Are you there? Hello?" There was still nothing. I looked up to Charleston, defeated in myself. Before I could muster any words, he asked me to do something. 

"Turn around." 

"Charleston," I sighed, not at all in the mood for any attempts at a joke. "They're not going to be behind me. I just want to speak to them, please" 

He shook his head, smiled as he looked down at the floor. Then, he grabbed me by my shoulders and spun me around. "Turn around, Pip." 

When I saw it, it all made sense. 

And it was terrifying how it did. 

-fiftysix--

19/01/18

It was my cat's birthday yesterday.

SPOILER !

The picture, anyway. So what does it mean... Charleston has a brother? And the quote... Well, you guys will have to wait until book 2 to find out.

If you look back at the 'characters' chapter, you might be able to figure out Charleston's real last name. First one who comments it correct gets a spam! 

I'll give you a clue: it begins Charleston Aldous ______ !

I will release the screenplay for Counterfeit most likely on the 8th of February, and more excitingly.. I WILL PUBLISH THE OPENING SCENE OF COUNTERFEIT! I'm so beyond excited. Filming begins this Friday and I honestly in awe with how perfect the casting is?? Pip and MiKinley are cast by two of my good friends who are surprisingly quite similar to the characters (I wrote them before I met them). There are a few differences between book Charleston and the actor for my film, but honestly, he is such an incredible performer that you're not going to be disappointing with any of them.

I found a new band Thirdstory and you should seriously check out their song Over (When We Said Goodbye) because it is literally soul-moving music.

Anyways. Please continue to pray for my friend Tia (and me please). I've been so sick over the past 5 months, and I've just got 2 more diagnosis on top of everything. Still nothing compared to Tia, so please keep the prayers up for her and her family!! May God bless you all. 

God is waiting for you. Seek Him.