-eleven--

-eleven-- PLEASE COMMENT YOUR THOUGHTS/FEELINGS ABOUT THIS BOOK SO FAR!!!! 

AFTER THE BREACH of The Fog, everyone was required to have additional vaccines the next day

AFTER THE BREACH of The Fog, everyone was required to have additional vaccines the next day. This also included tests where they would regularly check us to ensure that we hadn't caught the disease, despite being immune. We endured a series of operated jabs and pricks, only to be told the same result each time: INSUSCEPTIBLE. 

They grouped us in every way possible by our tattoos - the ones they had given us before we arrived. They came in different variations; no one knew what they meant: INs, IRs, and the one I had: RD. It was another thing that was beginning to push me over the edge: they stained our skin with secrets and sheltered the truth from us. How were we supposed to trust them? Trust anyone? People like Charleston gave me hope, at least. He was the most human of all the guards. The most real. But I wouldn't allow myself to trust him, because, after all, he was part of the reason I was stuck in here. 

My thoughts were cut short when Avaline appeared in front of me, Thea by her side. It was probably for the best that I was no longer left to think. "Results?" I asked ironically. 

"I wasn't expecting it, but..." she paused for affect, "Insusceptible!" She sarcastically gave me her answer. 

"Really!?" Thea turned to her. "Me too!" 

We all laughed, seemingly taking our immunity for granted. It wasn't that we weren't grateful to be the minority that didn't suffer the unfathomable consequences of the disease, but it came at a price. One that took a large aspect of humanity away from us: touch. We were interrupted by the large, mechanic sounds of the doors opening, an army of guards entering, being assigned to the next group of people to take their tests. 

"Cadeloro, Camus, Chabrier, Chestnut, Coeur, Combattant..."A guard read aloud my name, along with Harriet's, and several other people who I recognized.

"Here I go." I sighed, looking to The and Ava. "Let's hope the results are good." I departed from them with the same pointless humor, not looking forward to the pinches and prodding that were to come. 

I already knew my fate. I already knew that I was Insusceptible. They already knew that it wouldn't change. Why did they still insist on putting us through this?

It didn't just happen when someone walked into The Fog. We had examination day twice a month, on the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month, so I knew what I was to expect. It was always the same. 

I followed a guard to an examination expanse, room 13, as always. She opened the door for me, and I looked around for Gus, the custodian who'd operated my tests since the day of my arrival, but he wasn't there. Instead, I was met with someone else. Someone I had not even thought about finding there. 

It was him. 

Charleston. 

-eleven--

Happy birthday to Nia who plays Thea Fort!

I'm so absolutely amazed by the support I have received for this book! 

If you are kind enough to comment your thoughts, feelings and ideas about this book, then I will do the same for yours!