-seventyfive--

--seventyfive-

They say it's what you make, I say it's up to fateIt's woven in my soul, I need to let you go.
Your eyes they shine so bright, I want to save that light.
I can't escape this now unless you show me how.
+ Imagine Dragons +

-

CHARLESTON TOOK OVER the instructions with the help of Blaze, and they were quickly able to figure out where everyone needed to be.

"All the IRs need to follow Gus and Billie into the Mess Hall." Blaze announced.

"The tattoos on your wrists will indicate if you are a part of that group. The reason you are being separated is for different exit strategies. They are just as many IRs as there are INs and RDs combined. Head over to them, and they will instruct you on what to do." Charleston explained.

"And for everyone else, you'll need to follow us down by the creek. This is the safest exit portal at this moment. If you can all see the custodians behind you, they'll take you to where we're heading." Blaze declared, handing over the authority to Zeke and Raya who were waiting behind the crowd.

Charleston and I needed to make our way over to them, ready to lead everyone in the Evacuation. On our way, someone made me stop, fading everything else away as they found me.

"Pip!" MiKinley exclaimed, careful of the proximity of the people around him.

"I was so worried about you." I told him. "I thought you might have got hurt in the... In the fire. That was you?" I finally asked him, trying to comprehend why he had started it.

He nodded, contemplating my reaction. "Pip... Charleston told me everything." He admitted, chasing my world to spin.

"He told you?"

Another nod. "It was after you tried to touched me. He told me to calm down and that I had to listen to him because you would need me to know what he had to say."

I looked to Charleston, unable to work out if it was shame or sorrow that clouded him.

"I know everything. The Rule, the Disease, the Holograms." His voice softened.

"Do you-"

"I know that I'm sick, Pip. Charleston told me that you're determined to get to me on time. But, Pip... If it's too late, then thank you. For everything. For all of it."

"MiKinley, this isn't how it ends. I can still save you. We just got to get everyone out."

He offered a smile in place of belief. "I know." He lied, so bittersweet. "Go and save everyone, okay? I'll see you shortly."

I didn't want to go, but MiKinley left knowingly, leaving me with no choice but to follow Charleston. We caught up to the front of the crowd where Ava and Patrick were among the ones who were waiting for us. The others looks liked they were clearing a path for everyone to run through, talking on their radios confirming with everyone on the outside that we were coming.

"What do we do?" One of the residents asked, fear of what was ahead and behind them.

I looked to Charleston, ready for the anger and rejection at our command.

"You've got to go through the Fog to get outside."

The yelling returned, everyone's already wavering trust for us seeming to slip away.

"The only way to get to safety is to go through the danger." Ava spoke up.

"It'll kill us!"

"It won't!" I promised, but no one believed me.