-ten--

-ten-- 

IT WAS THE most human I had ever felt, looking at him

Being kept in The Dormir, deprived of human touch - of contact with anything living, made me feel like a ghost. It left me with thoughts too terrifying to speak aloud. Thoughts that always wondered: am I real? Or am I just a figment of someone's imagination? I actually wondered that - if I was truly alive sometimes. 

The way he stood there after MiKinley's words; silent and still, yet aware. He didn't say or do anything at all. He stared onward like a soldier frozen in duty - the ones who aren't allowed to react to you, despite what you may be doing to them. Something inside me ached

For distrust? For sympathy? For resemblance? 

Before I knew it, MiKinley had walked away, but without fail, Charleston stared onward, right through where he had been. My name was called and I turned to see Kin, now joined by Ava, waiting for me to follow. It was just me, alone before Charleston - the guard whose hurt broke through the temper in his eyes. Slowly, with hesitation, and great regret, I turned away. Nothing could answer my burning question of why it left such a heaviness upon me, but I felt that perhaps the added weight of its answer would break my already tired shoulders. 

I reached my friends, and we kept walking away from where Teresa had been consumed by the fog, much like everyone else. But I hesitated, again, and looked behind me. Looked at him. 

I couldn't explain the pull I felt or the need to constantly know how he reacted to things. Maybe part of it related back to the idea that I felt a resemblance to him - almost a familiarity where there shouldn't have been any. Maybe I was just supposed to meet him, much to the disappointment of MiKinley. 

That was also something that made me wonder; why was there such a conflict between them from their first encounter? My still-unanswered question regarding Charleston at the dinner table, and why was MiKinley so on edge lately? Surely it couldn't have all been because of him - that would have been crazy! I get that there was a sense of intrusion given the fact that Charleston had just arrived and he already had so much more power than us, but MiKinley wasn't worried about power. Not like me. He wasn't worried about anything with The Dormirs. 

For now, I decided I'd leave it. There had already been too much chaos this week for me to tolerate anymore. I'd get the week over with, then I'd make sure I'd get my answers, no matter the cost. 

-ten--

Dedicated to @-bellblake for her wonderful feedback and support of this book.

Also, I know some of you might have questions about The Fog - how it managed to kill Teresa when she was supposed to be immune. 

Don't stress. It's all part of the plan, I've got it figured. Remember, if ever in doubt, think of Counterfeit!