Chapter 19

Waterkit woke to see darkness. Why can't I see? She felt her mother's pelt brush past her, and she tried to follow but there were pebbles blocking the exit. She found a hard pebble to rub her eyes on. She wanted to see. When she rubbed her eyes on the pebble they opened. The pebbles were barely a mouse-length taller than her! She crouched down and managed to leap over the pebbles. I did it! 

She managed to catch her mother slipped into a den across the camp. All the cats were waking up, making it hard to navigate. "Excuse me," She meowed at a grey tabby tom. "Do you where my mommy went?"

 The tom shook his head. "Waterkit, stay in the den. Nightpelt's location is none of your concern." Suddenly, she knew how to get her mother's attention. "But I'm hungry!"

The tom glanced over at the den her mother had entered.  "She'll be out soon enough. Why don't you go play with your sister?" Waterkit didn't hear him. "Who are y-" The tom picked her up by the scruff and set her in the nursery and make the pebble wall higher. 

"Play with your sister. She's over there." He pointed his tail at a gray she-kit. "Her name is Shimmerkit. What about you show her how you got your eyes open?" Waterkit nodded. "Ok."