Chapter 10

Thunderkit couldn't anything but blackness. He tried opening his eyes, but despite the fact they were closed, they wouldn't budge.

My eyes are sealed! Thunderkit thought. He felt for something rough and found a bumpy rock, just high and thick enough to cover both his eyes. He began rubbing his right eye against the rock, and it opened in only in a few heartbeats.

That was easy! He repeated with his left eye and opened just as quickly. He looked around to see where he was and realized he was in a small cave with moss covering almost the entire floor. Several she-cats were laying down with kit drinking milk from their belly. 

"Thunderkit!"The voice seemed to be speaking to him. "Come here!" Thunderkit? he thought. I guess that's my name. He padded over to the she-cat that had called him.

 Once he was a fox length from her, he looked up at the she-cat. "How are your eyes already open?" How do you think? Do you have working eyes? "I rubbed my eyes against that rock."  She stiffened for a heartbeat, then started rapidly licking his eyes. He knew she thought his eyes got scratched.

"My eyes aren't scratched!" he complained as he ducked from her tongue. Suddenly he realized the important questions he should be asking. "Who are you? Where am I?" "I'm your mother, Moonstripe. You're in the nursery of Duskclan. These are your siblings, Lightningkit and Stormkit. Stormkit is the smaller kit."

******************

"Thunderkit! Want to play in the meadow?" Lightningkit called. Thunderkit nodded and rushed to her side. Suddenly, Moonshine padded up to them. "You can't leave the camp until your apprentices, which will be early. Instead of you becoming apprentices at 6 moons, it'll be at 4 moons." Thunderkit tipped his head to the side. "What about warriors?" "At 7 moons." Lightningkit stepped past Thunderkit. "Aren't we 3 moons old? 1 moon away?" Moonshine shook her head. "No, your 2 moons old. You need to wait for 2 more moons." Suddenly, a question came to Thunderkit's mind. "What can you do as a warrior, besides hunt and fight?" Moonshine paused for a few heartbeats before answering. "Well, you can have a mate, you can have an apprentice, you can ask to be the next deputy," She chuckled before finishing. "and you can sleep." I want to have a mate, Thunderkit thought. I want to have kits with her, I want her to be about my age. He watched Nightclaw pad over to the fresh-kill pile. I want it to be her.