Chapter 11

Thunderkit was lightly snoozing next to the entrance of the nursery when he cracked open one of his eyes. Lightningkit pounced on Thunderkit, but he moved out of the way and Lightningkit's paws landed on the soft moss coating the cave floor. 

"Missed," Thunderkit teased. "Maybe you should know that I may appear asleep, but you can't trust a Thunderkit." Lightningkit pounced again, but Thunderkit didn't move a mouse-length as Lightningkit landed on Stormkit. 

Stormkit was clearly struggling to breathe. "Lightningkit! Move your paws! Your suffocating Stormkit!" Thunderkit mewed in panic. Luckily, Lightningkit moved her paws, but Stormkit was still breathing less than normal.

Thunderkit picked up the small tom and carried him out the nursery for some fresh air. He set down Stormkit, and luckily after a few heartbeats his breath went back to normal and he opened his eyes. "What happened?" Stormkit mewed. "Lightningkit almost suffocated you," Thunderkit joked. 

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here for a clan meeting," they heard Moonshine call. "We're still 1 moon away from apprenticeship," Thunderkit mewed.

Stormkit smiled largely. "Stay here." He ran in the nursery and Lightningkit followed him out. "So," Stormkit mewed. "I found a spot on the side of the leader's den cave we can fit in. It doesn't fully go in the cave, but it's just large enough for us to comfortably fit." 

They listened in the spot Stormkit told them about as Brightclaw and Darkclaw became warriors. Shineclaw also got Brightmoon as her mentor. As soon as all the cats were in the den except their mother, they hurried back to the nursery.

I can't wait to join Nightclaw in the apprentice's den, Thunderkit thought. Why do I like her so much? I've noticed her looking at me. Maybe I can tell her how I fell when I'm an apprentice.