Chapter 17

Nightfoot was resting in the center of the High Peak, dreaming. He was suddenly nudged awake by an unknown paw. "What is it?" he murmured, not looking to see who awoken him. He didn't realize who the cat was until hearing Nightpelt's familiar mew.

"I'm expecting!" She exclaimed. "I don't know who it's with, but I guess we'll see what they look like when they're born."

Don't you know who it's with? Nightpelt's words confused him. How many cats are you mating? "I'm going to tell Moonshine!" She said more after that, but Nightfoot wasn't listening.

She's been spending the same amount of time with Thunderstrike as me and they insist on joining each other's patrols. If she's expecting his kits... Nightfoot shook his head. What am I worrying about? They have to be our kits.  

***********

Nightfoot was pretending to be asleep, still suspicious of Thunderstrike. At moonhigh, he saw Thunderstrike pad out of the den. Once he was about 5 fox-lengths out of the den, Nightfoot followed.  

Nightfoot followed Thunderstrike, and when he came to the Great Pine Nightfoot bounded inside a hollow boulder. Thunderstrike had met Nightpelt there, and they played until the moon was between the top of the night sky and the horizon, and they headed back.

Nightfoot couldn't believe what he had seen. He wished he hadn't seen it. Nightpelt, how could you do this to me?