"Sit down, Beatrice" sighed Master White.

"Well?" he said.

I waited, in need of a little more prompting. "Care to explain why this is the second time this week you have assaulted my daughter!" snapped Mr Fairfax. It hurt him being so cruel, he'd been kind to me when I was a child. "She attacked me, it was self defence" 

"Lies!" said Mr Fairfax.

"Mr Fairfax" said Master White, "Beatrice what happened?"

"She was angry because her exam isn't next week, I told her why and she tried to attack me"

"Who told you why she isn't sitting her exam?" Mr Fairfax demanded.

"No one in particular, but I take it it's true then" 

"You-" he began, but Master White cut him off. 

"This seems like the truth, Caroline, you will come back tomorrow night, and complete an hours detention"

"Hang on a second-"

"Mr Fairfax, please do not persist in trying to direct the way in which I discipline students. Beatrice, go and study, you have an examination in less than a week"

"Thank you, Master White" I said, slipping out. 

It was still early, so I went to the combat studio with the aim of one thing in particular, working out why my stake had not penetrated. I changed into my work dress, which was much lighter, and began staking for all kinds of angles each time penetrating the hard exterior of the mannequin. The doll had been designed to have the hard exterior of a vampire, and ribs were also placed on it, so students learnt how to drive in the stake with the necessary force. Each time, I met the distance and drove the stake through it. 

How Felix Petrov escaped with his life was a mystery. There had been something bloking my way, of that I was certain. It was as if he'd placed a shield there, whatever it was, it was well concealed. 

When I'd finished, I was dripping with sweat, my hair drenched and my eyes bright from the exercise, in the mirror, I could see the pink tinge to my skin. I was flushed. 

I asked for a bath to be drawn and made my way back to my chambers. My foot prints echoed along the empty halls, outside, the sun had fallen. I'd been so consumed, I had missed dinner. Supper would have to wait, all I wanted was to feel clean again. I kept my stake handy, but was thinking of starting to carry a sword, or possibly an axe, either would be effective in removing Felix Petrov's head. 

When I got back to my chambers, I found a serving girl had drawn me a large bath. I smiled, it was unusual, normally the water was only two inches deep, but this was a proper bath, and after thanking the girl. I stripped myself off my sweat coated clothes. The smell was repugnant, I would need them washed before using it again. 

I stepped into the bath, hissing as the hot water scalded my skin. I relished the pain, feeling it warm my core. I sunk into it, sighing contentedly. A bar of soap had also been left, once a lather had been built I skimmed it over my skin, then taking up a razor, allowed that too follow suit, sliding over my skin. 

After washing my hair, messaging my scalp with my fingers, I rose from the bath tub, drying myself with the towel on the side. I slipped into the robe I had left on the partition, the silk feeling strange against my hot skin. Although I did not use my father's position as a bargaining chip, I had to admit it had it's advantages; the room, the warm bath, the clothes, all curtsy of him. 

Once certain I was alone, I took off the robe, and stood naked in the candle light. I studied my reflection carefully. My body was not skinny like Eva, or even Caroline. Rather, my body was covered in lean muscle, my collar bone framed the lilting neck and my face was that of a girl of my background. I had large blue eyes,  and my lips were fuller than normal. My skin was pale, though not like the winter lustre of a vampires, but rather of a girl who was not permitted to soak in the suns rays. One condemned to hunt the night. The silver cross hung below the hollow of my throat, and the chain clasped tightly at the back, the metal was cool on my skin. 

For a strange moment, I imagined Felix Petrov stood there, his hands running along my skin....

I stopped the thought before it could continue, it was wrong. It was unnatural. We weren't the same spieces and he was a cold blooded killer. I was all too warm, my flesh too soft, I was utterly human. And that, was my greatest weakness. 

***

The next few days leading to the exam rolled by in a usual pattern. All of the students kept to themselves, Caroline still wasn't speaking to me, but I was too engrossed to have time to care. I wished to stay up in the library, to see if I could lure Felix Petrov back in their, and finish him like I should of the first time we met. 

When I went to the library the night before my exam however, I found it locked. Master Scott appeared behind me. "Miss Everlyn" he said. I jumped and whirled round, but was relieved to see it was only him. "Come with me" he said. I frowned and he saw my confusion then said, "You'll be late for the leavers dinner" 

I relaxed at his explanation and followed swiftly down the hall. I had been told to dress approriatly, so was wearing a white dress given to me by father. It had all the usual slayer tricks, but apart from that looked stunning, it hugged my curves and hung down from me once past my waist. The low neckline highlighted the swell of breasts and the gold lining shone in the candle light. 

Once in the hall, I saw the other early students sat around a table. Master White and the other teachers were sat along the front and I took my seat next to the others whilst Master Scott joined the other teachers. 

Master White stood. "You are the next generation of slayers, you will go on to do great things for humanity, of that I have no doubt. You will face exams that will push your very capabilities to the limit, and each one will test you in ways you cannot imagine. I wish you well and as a token of our thanks for your future service, Rowhurst offers this meal, to our future warriors, may your aim always be swift and true" 

We all raised our glasses, a touching gesture. I drank my wine, red of course. It was all that was ever drunk by slayers at Rowhurst, it symbolised the blood of the dead, and how they served to sustain us. The meal was excellent, it was steak, served in a wine sauce, with potatoe and asparagus, a vegetable that was difficult to import. 

As I ate, I felt myself becoming more and more lightheaded. I just assumed it was the wine, so tried a glass of water too steady myself. It only made me feel more drowsy and I could not help but let my lids flicker shut, when I opened them, the other students were passed out at the table, wine was spilled, plates smashed on the floor. The last thing I heard was, "the beasts are ready, Master White" 

Then the darkness took me.