I jumped at the use of my name, it was said softly, and I was so unused to such affection from Master Scott, who only usually held grudging respect.  "What do you mean?"

"I wish I could tell you, but know this, your assignment's have already been chosen"

"But we haven't taken the exam" I pointed out. 

"It doesn't matter, for students such as yourself, your assignments have been picked, the exam is a formality, it has happened for three other students too" 

"Sir, why wasn't Caroline chosen to take the exam early?"

He sighed, "Caroline, although brilliant in her subjects, we felt did not have the emotional stability yet and also, we thought about sending her through anyway, but were given explict orders that she should remain"

"Who would give those orders?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Her father, Johnathan Fairfax"

****

The next day, I woke at eleven, five hours later than usual, but I was being given rest which was allowed by Master Scott and Smyth, who agreed some rest would do me good. 

I yawned loudly and stared at the note on the table beside me. The words 'HRH F.D' branded me in a way that was impossible to describe, it made me feel uncertain and anxious. 

After taking my time to dress, I was in time to have dinner with Caroline. She looked furious and ill tempered, not that I could blame her. "Look who it is, the chosen one" she sneered visciously, attacking a piece of bread. 

"Caroline, that isn't fair!" I argued.

"The hell it isn't!" she hissed, "why you, I know why, because your father is head of the order!" 

"Take it back" I seethed, that was a low blow, she knew well and good my father would never interfere with my selection. 

"Make me, you're such a good fighter after all" she was goading, and I knew it but refused to take the bait.

"You're wearing my patience" I said through clenched teeth.

"And I'm emotionally unstable?" she laughed, bloody hell, who told her?

"Caroline-"

"It isn't fair! I worked just as hard as you, but as usual you get everything!" she was sounding more and more like a spoiled brat, which in a way, I suppose she was.

"You know the reason why you didn't get picked? You're father told them not to!"

The minute the words left my mouth, I covered my mouth with my hands, damn it!

"You're lying, daddy would never-"

"Daddy did" I said.

She howled in rage and lunged towards me, I stepped out the way and when she tried to claw me, I punched her, watching with a small amount of satisfaction as she shrieked and clutched her eye, backing away from me. "I hate you, Beatrice Everlyn!" 

With that she fled the hall, her red hair flying behind her. A sharp voice brought me down from my triumphant mood, "Everlyn!" 

I turned and saw a puce Haverbroke standing looking furious. "That was not my fault, sir! She attacked me!"

"Report to Master White this instant!" he yelled. I did as he beckoned, and left with my head held high, I was no criminal, nor had I been in the wrong. 

I stalked to Master White's office, in a foul mood. When I arrived, I was greeted by a tearful Caroline hugging her father, both of them staring at me with accusing eyes. "Master White, Mr Fairfax" I said curtly.