52

I pull the car into the driveway of my mother's house and she walks out the door with Kiera, holding her hand.

Mom smiles. "Hey, sweetheart."

I walk over to Mom and hug her. "Mom," looking at Hayden he nods his head. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Sure," she grabs my hand and leads me into the house. As soon as we walk through the door I see photos of my brother and siblings, lining the wall. There's photos of us when we were growing up and others of us with our families.

"Mom," I look at the stairs and see my older sister Rayna standing on the stairs with a baby. "Sammy, won't go to sleep. Can you put him down for me?" She looks at me. "Hey, Juliet. What are you doing here?"

"I'm dropping clothes off for Kiera. She's spending another night."

Rayna crosses her arms. "Mom, you promised me that there won't be any kids in the house until I left."

Mom looks at my sister. "This is my house, Rayna. I will have whoever I like in it. Go back to the room and sit in the rocking chair. Rock Sam to sleep that way. Juliet, wants to talk to me."

"Don't be too long, Mom." She rounds the corner and enters a bedroom.

Turning towards Mom I say. "Why didn't you tell me that Rayna was back?"

"That's why?" she leads me to the bedroom. "Rayna got in late last night and she told me that her husband walked out on her. More like he was caught with his pants around his legs and another woman close to him."

Growing up Rayna and I used to be close, but that was until she went after the town's bad boy. It turns out that he didn't love her as much as she loved him. When she got pregnant with my niece he left her and hasn't been seen around town since. My niece was adopted by a lovely family that was passing through the town at the time of Rayna giving birth. She hasn't been the same since that day. She started to pull away from the family and then one day I got home from school she wasn't there.

Mom told me that Rayna ran away because she couldn't live with giving her child away and that this city holds too many memories that she'd rather forget.

In the living room Mom and I sit on the couch next to each other. She places her hand on mine. "What's wrong, Juliet?"

"Mom, I found a lump near my breast."

She pulls me into a hug. "We'll get it checked out on Monday. Do you want me to come with you?"

I nod. "Please," looking down the hall I see Kiera walk into the house with her father. "Mom, what if it's cancer? I don't want to leave my daughter alone." A dam begins to open up in me and I cry.

Mom rubs my back. "Kiera isn't going to be alone. She has her father and Grandparents. We'll be there for her. You shouldn't jump to conclusions just yet, Juliet. We'll find out on Monday. I could always call the doctor at home and tell her to leave a space open for us early in the morning."

"You would do that?"

"I would do anything for you, sweetheart." She looks at Hayden as he enters the room. "Go home with him Hayden and make sure that he keeps your mind off things." Mom stands up and grabs her phone from the table. "I'll give Mya a call now." She walks out of the room.

Hayden takes her spot on the couch. "Who's she calling?"

"The doctor I told you that I will see on Monday. Mom is friends with the Doctor and she'll fit me in somewhere in her schedule."

Mom returns a couple minutes later. She looks at me. "Mya said she'll see you at 7:30am, on Monday. Do you want me to pick you up?"

"Yes, please. I don't think I'll be able to drive there if I was going on my own. After that can you drive me to work?"

"Sure," A smile spreads across her face. "Where is this job I'm taking you to, Juliet?"

"Butler Industries. I'm the new article writer for the Butler Magazine."

Mom screams. "I love that magazine and those girls that started that company. They usually grab the upcoming next big thing and make them a huge deal. Did you know Ariana Houston and her siblings got their big breaks because of those girls?"

"I did. I met Ariana and her husband. I got to interview them through the job that Hayden got me. I found out that the boss wanted me to dig up dirt on the couple so he could expose their dirty laundry for his sister, who's the villain in their love story."

Hayden pulls me against him. "We should go."

"Yeah," I stand up and walk over to Mom. "I'll see you tomorrow when you drop Kiera off."

"Yes, you will. What's your plans for today?"

"Hayden and I are looking for a house. I want a place for Kiera to play in. She's been living in an apartment building and condo and they don't have a yard for her to play in. I was also thinking about getting a dog too."

Rayna walks into the living room and she glares at me. "I thought you would have left already, Juliet. Why are you taking Mom from me?"

I walk over to my sister. "I'm not taking Mom from you. What happened to you, Rayna? You used to be polite. Now, you're a complete bitch."

She slaps me across the face and my head turns to the side. "Don't call me that. I've had enough of people calling me that. I hate you Juliet. It's your fault that Daren left. He only fucked me to get back at you. When I got pregnant with his child he skipped town, knowing that her hurt you through me."

I throw a punch at my sister and hit her in the temple and she crumples to the ground. I stand above her. "Grow up, Rayna. You should stop blaming others for the mistakes you've made and learn from them. Where's Sam's father, huh? Did he skip out on you because you're a psychotic bitch?"

Hayden pulls me away from Rayna. "Let's go, Juliet. She's not worth it."

Rayna looks at him. "Who the bloody hell are you?"

A smile spreads across Hayden's face. "I'm Hayden Knowles." He pulls Kiera and I into his arms. "This is my family and I don't take kindly to you hurting, Juliet. If you don't change you're not going to have access with the rest of your family."

She frowns. "What do you mean I won't have access to the rest of my family?"

Mom looks at her. "Juliet is close to your brother and if you're will to hurt Juliet then you'll hurt..." Mom stops talking and I finish the rest of the sentence for her. "... Davis and his pregnant girlfriend."

"Davis is starting a family with someone?"

"Yes," I grab Hayden's hand. "We should leave." Turning to Mom I say. "Can you make sure that she doesn't hurt my daughter? I don't want to see Kiera with bruises because of her."

Mom looks at Rayna. "You need to leave, Rayna."

"