18

On the way back to my apartment I stop at Chinese restaurant and I order fried rice, sweet and sour pork, satay beef, spring rolls and Prawn chips.

If I don't get a mix of everything my brother will get pissed.

I remember when I was pregnant with Kiera and Davis came to visit. I brought enough food for us.

He looked at the container and said. "Is that all you can afford? I came here to see you and all you could bring home is sweet and sour pork without a beef dish and extra sides. This isn't going to fill me." He points at my stomach. "You're baby isn't going to want to eat this shit." He knocks the container on the ground. "Next time you buy Chinese buy extra food." He walked to the door. "I'm going out. Don't wait up." He slammed the door shut.

I don't know what had him pissed that day and I still don't. Whenever he came I made sure to buy sides and a beef dish to keep him happy.

The woman places my order on the counter. "Here you go, Miss."

I pay her. "Thanks," I take the bags off the counter and make my way back to the apartment.

I'm about a block away from my house when my phone starts to ring.

I stop at a seat and pull my phone out of my pocket. 'Unknown' flashes across my screen.

A smile spreads across my face as I think of the man that I met at the park not long ago.

I hit accept.

Me: Hello?

Voice: Hey, it's John. We met at the park not...

I cut him off.

Me: I remember you.

He laughs.

John: I'm calling because I want to set something up with the kids. How does Friday night sound?

It's perfect.

Me: That should be fine.

John: How about your kid and you come around to mine around five?

I'm not taking my daughter to his. Besides I don't really know him. At least at mine I will have my brother around.

Me: I can't come to yours. You should come to mine. I don't feel comfortable going to a strangers. This way I have my brother close if I need him.

John laughs.

John: You're a cautious woman aren't you? I think that's what I like about you.

Me: I'll send you my address on Friday. Have a good night John.

John: You too.

I hang up the phone and make my way to the apartment.

At the apartment I see a group of men standing in front of the door. A package exchanges hands as I get closer to the door. One of the guys steps forward and blocks my entrance to the building.

I look at him. "Can I get threw?"

He shakes his head. "No, you can't. You saw what we were doing. We can't risk you going to the cops."

"I won't say a word. I don't care what you guys do around here as long as it stays away from the younger kids."

A second guy grabs my arm. "No one is going to miss this sweet thing."

I throw elbow back and I hit him in the throat. "I have a child and that child is going to miss me." I look at the four men. "But, no one is going to miss you."