37

Hayden's POV

I walk into the day-care and one of the teachers approach me. "Hello, Mr Knowles."

"Hi," I sign the book to take my daughter home. "How was Kiera today?"

She smiles. "She was good. She did a painting that she wants to show you. Right now she's outside with the other kids."

"Thanks," I walk outside and see Kiera with her back turned to me playing in the sandpit. I sneak over to her and cover her eyes. I whisper in her ear. "Guess who?"

"Daddy," she screams. She stands up and hugs me. "I want to show you something." She pulls me inside and leads me to the painting. "That's mine."

I look at the picture and it's blotched with different colours and it's still wet. "It's pretty, princess. Since it's still wet we have to keep it here. I'll take it home tomorrow and stick and it on my fridge."

"Okay, Daddy. Are we going home now?"

"Yes, princess." I scoop her into my arms and grab her backpack before heading to my car.

At the car I buckle her in and shut the door. I climb into the driver's seat and put the key into the ignition. My phone lights up and I see that I have 23 missed calls. I open my phone and see 20 from Juliet and 3 from Davis.

What's going on?

I pull up Juliet's number and call her.

Juliet: Hello?

Her voice sounds different. Has she been crying?

Me: Juliet, what's wrong?

Juliet: There was an accident and I thought something happened to Kiera and you when you didn't answer your phone.

Me: Kiera and I are fine. I was late picking her up as a meeting ran late.

Juliet: I'll see you when you get home.

She hangs up the phone.

I look at Kiera and she's fallen asleep in her car seat. I put my phone back in the console before pulling out of the parking lot.

As I approach the interstate I see the traffic at a standstill.

No wonder Juliet was worried when I wasn't answering the phone.

I start to drive at a slow pace towards the interstate.

As soon as I make it onto the interstate I see Juliet's car next to mine and I wind down the window.

She does the same. "Hey, Hayden."

A smile spreads across my face. "Hey," looking at the road in front of me. "Get off at the next exit. I'll show you another way home."

"Okay," she slows down a bit, leaving a gap for me to pull in front of her.

As soon as we get closer to the exit I pull into the next lane and look in the rear view mirror to make sure that Juliet's still following me and she is.

Juliet climbs out of the car and runs over to mine. She opens the door and unbuckles Kiera. "Hey, princess. Did you have fun at school?"

"Yes, Mommy. I'm hungry." She climbs out of the car and walks over to me.

I lift her up and carry her inside while Juliet grabs her bag and we head to lift. I press the button and the door opens.

We step into the lift and it takes us to our floor. Juliet looks at me. "Davis, isn't going to be happy that I didn't call him back after I spoke to you. He was worried about the two of you as well."

I look at the ground. "I didn't think about calling him. You were the only one on my mind when I saw 23 missed calls on my phone."

The lift door opens and we step out of it. As we head towards my place the door opens and Davis runs out. He stops in front of Kiera and Hayden. He looks them up and down before wrapping his arms around them. "Thank, god. You're alive. I was afraid after Juliet told me she couldn't get in touch with you."

Juliet looks at the ground. "I'm sorry I didn't call you back, bro. I couldn't think properly until I heard from Hayden and when I did I was relieved. You were the last person on my mind to call."

Davis moves over to his sister and hugs. "Don't worry about it, sis. I'm glad you're all here and now we can have dinner." He leads the way back into the condo.

The smell of beef hits me and there's a few spices mixed with it. I put Kiera in her chair and she looks at the food on the table.

"Beef," she yells.

A smile spreads across Juliet's face. "We know, princess." She kisses the top of Kiera's head. "This is your favourite meal that Uncle Davis makes."

Davis puts food on her plate. "Don't eat right away. It's still a little bit hot."

Juliet takes the plate from the high chair and blows on the food a couple of times before she gives it back to Kiera. "You can eat it now."

"Thank you, Mommy." She puts her fork into the beef and starts chewing.

I take a seat next to Juliet and Kiera. Juliet starts putting some potatoes on her plate. She looks at me. "Do you want potatoes?"

"Yes, please." She gives me the tongs and I put four cooked potatoes on my plate, followed by beef and red cabbage. I take a bite of the potatoes and I can taste the juice from the beef on the potatoes. Looking up at Davis I ask. "Did you cook these potatoes in the beef juice?"

"Yep," he looks around the table. "I was bored with cooking mashed potatoes that I decided to cook the potatoes a different way and came up with this."

"It's really good. You should Juliet how to cook this mean."

Juliet turns towards me. "I don't think so, Hayden. If you want this meal again you'll have to call my brother and get him to do it. Everyone has something they're good at while others don't."

Around the table everyone starts talking about their Day.

A smile spreads across Juliet's face as she looks around the condo. "Thanks for cleaning up, bro. This place hasn't been this spotless since I moved in." She drops her fork on the plate after eating half the food on her plate. "Today I was given a job offer to work for an upcoming magazine and I took the job."

Jolene looks at Juliet. "What magazine? I've heard about new one coming out. It's the Butler fashion magazine."

"Yes, that's the one. They've decided that they want someone to interview their staff and I'll be the one to do. Xanthe was the one that gave me the job after she learnt about the interview I was doing with the Wilson's. She showed up at the house unannounced."

"Are you sure about that, Juliet?" Jolene leans forward. "I've seen those twins work and they don't seem to be the type that would hire you to work for them without a one on one interview."

Juliet leans forward and looks Jolene in the eyes. "You don't know anything about those woman. They've hired more people off the street than any other fashion insider. A lot of people that work for them have been pulled off the street because Ariana thought she saw something within them when she was taking photos."

"