36

At 3pm, I walk into Daryl's office with the exclusive and I put it on his desk. "Take a seat and I'll go through it quickly and let you know what to fix." He pulls a pen out of his pen container. He starts circling things. "It's not the story I wanted. I was hoping to get all the information from them about when Bethany when after Ariana and tried to kill her when they were in Texas. Now, that's a story."

Looking at him I say. "They didn't want to talk about her. She's a part of their past and that's where that horrible woman should stay."

Daryl stands up and towers over me. "No, she shouldn't. She had a bright future in front of her until the Wilson's took everything from her."

I stand up. "Why don't you ask her for an exclusive of it's something that you want for the magazine."

He shakes his head. "I can't. The bosses won't let me anywhere near this story because it's too personal."

"How's it personal for you?"

"Bethany is my sister. She's been through so much since Evan publicly went out and fell in love with his best friend."

I shake my head. "I'm sorry to hear about your sister, but I'm not going to help you destroy some great people to make yourself feel better." I grab the exclusive from his table. "If you don't want the exclusive then I'll take it somewhere else." I head to the door and open it.

"Stop, Juliet." Daryl says, defeated. He takes a seat behind his desk. "My sister isn't doing well locked in the psych ward at the hospital and this morning I just found out she tried to kill herself."

I walk over to him and place my hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry,"

He frowns. "Why are you sorry? It's not your fault that my sister is unstable. I think it's partly my parents fault. They let her do whatever she wanted. She drunk, partied and had lots of sex. She went through so many guys and was pregnant three times. Each time she was pregnant she got an abortion as she didn't want Evan to know the type of woman she was."

I have a feeling Evan's known the type of woman she was for years. He just never had the guts to say or do anything. No, wonder things ended the way it did with Bethany locked up and Ariana pregnant with her first child to Evan.

Hearing all these stories aren't good for me because at the end of the day, we're not going to get the full picture.

The story about Bethany, Ariana and Evan will be something for another reporter to do.

I'm happy to stay far away from it.

"Daryl, you should see her. Take a much needed break and let someone take over your job while you're away."

He looks at me. "I want you to take my job while I'm away."

"I can't, Daryl. I won't be here when you return."

He stands up. "What do you mean you won't be here when I get back?"

"I got a job offer from someone that wants me to start tomorrow. I get to do whatever I want for the magazine. At this place I'm not free enough to write what I want. There I might be able to write things that interest me and that," I point to the piece of paper. "Will be part of the magazine since you don't like it." I take it from the table. "I worked hard on getting their story out there and it's something you don't want. So, use the back-up story that you had assigned."

"I can't let you go, Juliet. You're one of the best reporters I've seen come in."

I open the door. "You don't have a choice. I got this job because of who Hayden is. Now, I'm going to take a job that has to do with who I am." I walk out the door. Turning towards him I say. "Thank you for everything you've done for me. It was great to know you, Daryl." I start packing up my desk.

During packing my phone starts to ring and I see Hayden flash across the screen.

Me: Hey, Hayden. What's up?

Hayden: Daryl, called me and told me that you're leaving your job.

Me: I am. I got a job offer while I was interviewing Ariana and Evan Wilson. It's with an upcoming magazine.

Hayden: That's great, Juliet. We should celebrate tomorrow night. How about I swing by the office and pick you up.

Me: I will be at the new office tomorrow. It's called Butler Enterprises.

Hayden: Wow! Those girls have made everything they've done successful and they brought Ariana fame too.

Me: I know. For me I don't want to be famous. I want to be known for my writing. However I won't turn them down if they ask me to model for their company.

Hayden: I have to go. I'll see you tonight, Juliet.

I hang up the phone and pick up the box that's lying on the desk. I carry it towards the lift. "Hold the lift." I yell to a guy that stepped in.

He holds the door open and waits for me to step inside. He looks at me. "Are you new here?"

I shake my head. "I've been here for a couple of months, but no one wanted to get to know me because of my connection to Hayden Knowles."

A smile spreads across his face. "You're the girl that got knocked up by Hayden." 

Everyone knew who I am. Is that why they didn't want to talk to me? They thought I would tell Hayden everything that happened in the office.

I would never tell Hayden about anything that happened in the office. I believe in the saying what happens in some place stays in some place.

There's no point in taking your problems from home into the office and office problems to home.

In the basement the door opens and I walk over to my car. I put the box on the ground before opening the back door of the SUV.

Picking up the box I put it in the car, before shutting the door and climbing into the driver's seat. I start the car and reverse out of the parking. I drive toward the gate and exit the parking lot of the office I spent the last couple of months working.

As I start to drive through Los Angeles I get caught in the traffic. I hit the steering wheel as I come to a complete stand still.

I hate the traffic.

Turning the radio on I hear the news broadcast and they tell us how there was an accident on road.

Looks like I'll be home late for dinner.

My phone starts to ring and I see "Davis" flash across the screen.

Me: Hey, bro.

Davis: I heard about a car accident close to where you are. I was calling to check on you.

That's sweet of my big brother.

Me: I'm fine. Have you called Hayden and Kiera?

Davis: No, I haven't do you want me to call them?

Me: No, I'll call him myself. I'll see you when I get home.

I hang up with my brother and call Hayden.

The phone starts to ring, and ring and ring. He doesn't answer the phone. I call him again. The same thing happens.

Hayden, Kiera. You better be alright.

 You better be alright