Epilogue

After coming to power around 1332BC, Tutankhamun and Ankhesenamun promptly made the decision to abandon their father's heretical religion and restore the old gods. Of course, since they had been raised in the religion of the Aten, the choice would likely have been made by the government officials, such as Ay and Horemheb.

Tutankhamun and Ankhesenamun ruled for ten years or so, until the unexpected and sudden death of the King. How he died is still uncertain. It was previously believed he fell from his chariot, however new evidence has come to light that disputes this theory. The general consensus is that he broke his leg, and the leg then got infected.

Personally, I believe that Tutankhamun was murdered by those he trusted the most. After his death, Ay became the next Pharaoh of Egypt. He had the most to gain from the downfall of Tutankhamun.

Since the King was, at this stage, nineteen years old, he was probably starting to rule the kingdom himself, instead of relying on the government officials around them. Since the king was just a child, Ay, Horemheb, and others were effectively ruling Egypt themselves. Perhaps they didn't like this change. They had grown accustomed to the power and didn't want to give it up.

Tutankhamun and Ankhesenamun were the only remaining children (and relatives) of the heretic king, Akhenaten. When Akhenaten made the revolutionary decision to abandon the polytheistic religion that was Ancient Egypt at the time, he created many enemies for himself. Egyptologists believe that Akhenaten had at least two attempts made on his life, and that they were all made by the Priests of Amun. 

It is more than likely that someone - probably Ay and the other government officials in the royal court - wanted Tutankhamun and Ankhesenamun dead so that there was absolutely no possibility of returning to the times of Akhenaten. 

More evidence to support this theory is that to ensure his claim to the throne, Ay married Ankhesenamun. Why would she go along with this? He was at least fourty years older than her and quite possibly her grandfather. Who would want to marry their grandfather? It was more than likely that she was forced, and here is the evidence to support that:

In a bibliography of the Hittite King Suppilulimas, it stated that an Egyptian Queen, identified as Ankhesenamun, sent a series of letters to the foreign king. These letters are as follows:

(1) "My husband has died and I have no son. They say about you that you have many sons. You might give me one of your sons to become my husband. Never shall I pick one of my servants to be my husband...I am afraid."

I must make it clear that the relationship between the Egyptians and the Hittites was extremely hostile at this stage. They were bitter enemies. Naturally, the Hittite King was suspicious, so he sent his chamberlain to visit the Queen, who bought a second message:

(2)"Why do you say, 'they are trying to deceive me'? Had I a son, would I have written to you in a way that is humiliating to me and my country? You do not believe me and you even say as much to me! He who was my husband has died. A son I have not! Never shall I take a servant of mine and make him my husband! I have written to no other country; I have written to you. They say your sons are many, so give me one of your sons! To me he will be a husband but to Egypt he will be king. Please... I am afraid."

King Suppilulimas did believe her after the second letter and sent one of his sons to be king. However, he was murdered upon arriving in Egypt and was never made king.

Now, one wonders who the servant Ankhesenamun mentions actually is. Was it Ay? At this stage, he was not king. He was still the Vizier so technically, he was the Queen's servant. But why on earth would she be afraid? Why would she emphasise that in both letters?

What if Ay had murdered Tutankhamun, and had taken control of the Palace, with the support of the army? What if Ankhesenamun knew of his plans to marry and then kill her, just so he could be King?

To have a commoner on the throne was bad enough. But for it to be her husband's killer... murder was a very serious crime in ancient Egypt. It was seen as a symbol of chaos, the worst thing in the world. To have the Pharaoh be under the influence of chaos would be to complete destroy Egypt. This could not be allowed.

Unfortunately, since it is most likely that Ay and Horemheb were alerted to the large profession entering their Northern borders, the Hittite Prince was killed before he made it to the capital. Out of options, Ankhesenamun was literally forced to marry Ay.

Not long after his accession to the throne, Ankhesenamun completely disappears from history. Was she killed? Murdered, like her brother? Or did she escape?

Sadly, it seems that the latter was not the case. A mummy has been discovered that may possibly be Ankhesenamun - she is a young woman who is the mother of Tutankhamun's children - but it isn't certain.

We may never know what truly happened to Ankhesenamun and Tutankhamun, but I'd like to think that her days up until the death of her husband were filled with joy and happiness.

Thank you so much for reading Jewel of the Nile. Keep an eye out for any other books coming out from me.