Chapter One

"Very beautiful, Your Highness, very beautiful indeed!" Nebt beamed as she slowly turned me around. "The Queen will be most satisfied!"

"Do you think?" I walked over to a small mirror in the corner of my bedchamber. Nebt was not incorrect; the dress did look beautiful. Pure white with a golden rim around the edges - the absolute symbol of wealth. Nebt walked over and placed a rich cerulean amulet around my bare neck. 

"There," she said. "Now you look perfect."

I turned around. "Do you think this will be good enough for the festival?" I asked.

"Of course! You will by far be the most beautiful princess there, my dear Ankhesenpaaten."

I blushed. I had to take everything Nebt said to me with a bit of consideration, even though I had known her my entire life. One cannot go around insulting the Pharaoh's daughter, even if it was the truth.

Nebt was my main maid, although I did not like calling her that. She had been with my family for many years - she was first employed to take care of my sister, Meritaten. When I was born, eight years later, she began caring for me, and has ever since. After over twenty years serving the Royal Family, she was more like an aunt or a grandmother to me. I hated calling her a mere servant, because she was so much more than that. She woke me up in the mornings, helped me get dressed, informed me of my duties for the day, and so much more. Without her, I would be lost.

The was a knock on the doors. I frowned, but nodded to Nebt as she looked at me quizzically. I sat down on the nearest thing I could and waited as Nebt opened the door and allowed whoever it was to deliver me their message. 

The Vizier, Ay, strode into my bedchamber with such confidence that the unknowing may have mistook him for the Pharaoh.

He walked up to where I was sitting, and, without bowing like he should of, began talking.
"Princess Ankhesenpaaten. Your mother, Queen Nefertiti, wishes to see you immediately. She did not inform me as to why, just that she wants you in her chambers now."

With that he left in a flourish, leaving the doors wide open, for me presumably. I looked at Nebt.

"I suppose it is best if you meet with the Queen right away, Ankhesenpaaten," she advised. I considered. While my mother was recognised nationally as an impossible beauty; a kind, loving, intelligent Queen who ruled by the Pharaoh's side, she had no patience for tardiness.

"I suppose you are correct. I will come back afterwards," I agreed. With that, I quickly followed Ay out of my bedchambers, making sure to close the doors behind me.

I walked up to the entrance of my mother's chambers to find my sister, Meketaten, already waiting. She was dressed the most beautiful I had seen her in a long time - she was wearing the Egyptian custom of the long, white dress with gold trim; similar to mine. Numerous gold and silver bracelets caked her wrists, many centred with precious jewels and gems. Meketaten's black hair was done into long strands, to match the headpiece all the Royal Women of Egypt that had gone before us had worn. Her eyes were outlined in Kohl eyeliner. She was wearing but one pendant - a pendant of Aten, the sun disc. She was truly living up to our mother's reputation as the most beautiful Queen the land had ever seen.

Some servants quickly came forth to usher us inside, where mother was waiting. She put Meketaten to shame, and they both knew it. As Meketaten hung her low upon viewing mother, I realised that perhaps she dressed like this to gain mother's approval.

Mother cast an icy glance before beckoning us to sit on her bed beside her. 

"Meketaten, Ankhesenpaaten, thank you for coming so soon. I have been meaning to talk to you both. Because of recent events, however, I have not had the time to. You see..." My attention shifted towards the window besides the bed, which overlooked the large courtyard. In the distance, you could see the city of Ankhetaten, and the temple my father had built for Aten. I heard yelling from below, only to at it was merely my brother, Tutankhaten, playing by himself. He would have enjoyed it, I think, if Smenkhkre joined him once every often, but of course, our older brother would never be seen playing with Tutankhaten, or any of us girls, for that fact. He and his wife, my sister Meritaten, would no doubt me by themselves, talking about matters only concerning them.