Chapter Nine

I yawned as I staggered into my bedchambers after a tiring day. Today had been the coronation of Meritaten and Smenkhkre, although now I suppose they were called Queen Meritaten and Pharaoh Smenkhkre. That, in itself, took almost all day. And that was before all the lavish parties and feasts and celebrations. I, however, could not celebrate. We had not even had father's funeral. The priests were still preparing his body for mummification. How could everyone be so happy if he had not even been placed in his tomb?
However, as much as I wanted to, I was required to stay up until everything had ceased simply because I was the Queen's sister.
It sounded so odd, and unfamiliar. I was the Queen's sister. My sister was the Queen of Egypt. I was used to being the daughter of the Queen, not the sister.
Almost the entire city of 30,000 people crowed into the front courtyard - yes, it was almost as big as the palace itself, but 30000 people? - to watch the coronations. Standing off the the side with my siblings and mother, I scanned the crowd as best I could for signs of Huy and Kahmose, but I could not see them. They may not have even been here
No word had been said on what would happen to my sisters and I, but it was still early days. Although I suppose I would be married to Tutankhaten, who was the heir, which would make me stay here in the palace under close guard. But my sisters? And my mother? What would happen to them?
Nebt greeted me as I collapsed down on a chair near my bed. "Good Morning, Ankhesenpaaten. Do you wish to change into new clothes or go to bed?"
"What do you mean, good morning?" I asked unbelievably.
"Well, the parties and celebrations went for so long that it is long past midnight. In fact, Aten is even starting to rise again," she explained.
I could not believe it. Was it really that late? My eyes began to shut so I quickly told Nebt that I wished to sleep. Perhaps I could sleep until the next day.
I got changed into my nightclothes and climbed into bed, but, much to my disappointment, I did not fall asleep straight away. If I strained my ears I could still hear the music and the loud chatter of some of the guests. I had left early.
Only twenty-one days ago my father died. How could people be so joyful? Yes, the twenty days between his death and their coronation was traditionally meant for everyone to recover from the old Pharaoh's death, but it was still so soon. And his funeral would not be for another two months - for the entire mummification process took about seventy-two days. Could they not be crowned until after his funeral? Yes, Egypt would technically be without a Pharaoh for three months, but Smenkhkre would still be the Pharaoh. It would not be like he would cease to exist for three months.
I sighed, and rolled over. Perhaps when I woke up, everything would be back to normal.

I am walking down a dark, skinny path. On either side of me there is a deep, bottomless abyss. Where am I going? Where did I come from. I try to turn around to look, but I cannot. I cannot move anything except my legs, and they seem to be acting on their own accord...
Tap, tap, tap. Tap, tap, tap.
Are they footsteps behind me? Or are they mine? I try to stop, but my legs ignore my commands. I just keep walking, the sound of the footsteps getting louder, and louder.
The sound becomes faster, but I remain at the same pace. I suppose that means that it is a person behind me.
The footsteps become even faster, as though the person is running. They are running towards me at an alarming rate. In my mind's eye, I can see them. They are wearing something to cover their face, and are almost upon me. I stiffen.
"HURRY" my brain yells to my legs, but they still remain at the same pace. If anything, they slow down a tad.
"Ankhesenpaaten," the person rasps. "Your leadership is doomed. Everything you try to build will crumble. You will lose the ones you love the most."
What? What was that supposed to mean? My leadership? I was not a leader in anything.
The person moves at lightening speed, and I flinch as they try to push me off. I stumble, but I remain on the path. "Stop!" I shout, but it is no use. The person shoves me again, and this time, they succeed. I feel myself tumble over, and screaming, I begin to fall.
I'm falling.
Still falling.
Falling.
BAM
I open my eyes, only to see that I am in a strange...chamber. The walls and cloaked in gold, and hieroglyphics fill them up. The floors dazzle my eyes in a brilliant gold, too. Where am I now? It is a place much richer than the palace. I am in the afterlife?
There is someone over in the corner. "Hello?" I shout. Is this the person who pushed me into the abyss?
They turn around slowly, but before I can see their face, I am sucked out of the place once again.