Chapter Four

A/N - Just saying that in this chapter, there is a lot of short distance transport. While I have an idea of what the Ancient Egyptians used for this, I am not sure what it was called, and even after research I haven't found a complete match. So, I am just using 'carriages' as their means of transportation. Even though they actually did not have carriages.

If you have read my book so far, thank you so much. I really hope you are enjoying this, and learning a bit about Egypt too. If you want you can vote; I'm not going to be bossy about it.

Anyway.... CHAPTER FOUR (sorry it is so short).

My adventures of the night before made my eyes so very heavy as I woke up and stumbled out for breakfast. I sat down at the wooden table, in my new spot between Meritaten and Neferneferure, and waited for breakfast to be served.
Mother looked at me worryingly from across the table. "Ankhesenpaaten? Are you alright? Did you not slumber? Are you ill?"
I shook my head wearily. "No, I am just tired. I am sure it will pass soon. Do not worry."
Mother still looked concerned, but didn't mention it again.
A servant came up to us. "My apologises for the delay, we are trying our best. We had a minor problem in the kitchen, but it is fixed now."
The servant dashed away, leaving us confused.
Nobody said a word.
The doors opened. I could see the guards holding it open for someone, but I could not see who.
Neferneferuaten Tarsherit gasped. "Father? What are you doing here? You normally eat within your chambers," she said.
Father grinned. "Yes, but I realised," he said, with a quick smile at me. "That I needed to spend more time with my family." He took his place next to Mother and kissed her hand. "So, today, I am taking my sons to go chariot-racing, and extending the invitation to my daughters if they wish."
Chatter rose amongst the three youngest. Tutankhaten beamed. "I need to show you how good I have become, father!"
Father laughed. "I am sure you are very good!  You have the best teachers, after all."
Smenkhkre hadn't said anything. "Smenkhkre? What are your thoughts? Do you wish to attend?"
He didn't look at anyone. "If it is my lord's wish, then yes, I will."
"I am asking you, what do you want? Do you wish to attend?" Father repeated.
Smenkhkre looked up. "Yes, I will attend."
Meritaten smiled. "I would like to go, father, too, if I may."
"Ankhesenpaaten? Neferneferure? Neferneferuaten Tasherit?"
I looked at my sisters. "I think I speak for all of us when I say we would love to attend."
"Excellent! And how about my beautiful queen?" Father inquired, kissing mother's hand again.
She rolled her eyes. "I suppose someone there needs to be of sane mind when something goes wrong."
"Are you insinuating that I am not sane?"
"I never said that, my dear," she laughed.
"Hmmp. Well, everyone is coming, which is good. We will leave exactly one hour after we finish breakfast, giving everyone time to get ready."
The servants finally bought in the food, bowing at the entrance once they saw father was here.
It was almost a dream. Everyone talked and laughed during breakfast; there was not a moment's silence. Even Meritaten and Smenkhkre smiled once or twice, and participated in the conversation. For a while, at least, we were just a normal family. All the Royal titles went out the window. For a moment, it was pure happiness.
As we finished breakfast and everyone was leaving to get ready, I walked up to father. "Thank you, father," I smiled. He shook his head.
"No. Thank you. Ankhesenpaaten, you were the one who made me realise that I need to spend more time with my family. I don't have much longer left, I know I don't, and I do not want to waste it. Now, run along. You must get ready. If you are lucky, perhaps I will let you race as well," father teased.
I grinned. "Yes, Your Majesty!"

I chose a plain, cotton dress with walking sandals for our day out. The best place for chariot racing was up on the cliffs, in the desert. No doubt we would all get dirty after today, so I did not want to wear expensive clothing.
As I made my way to the garden where we would all meet, I passed Meritaten's chambers, where I heard voices.
"Stop your crying! We are about to leave! Pull yourself together, now!" It was Smenkhkre. He had obviously done something to my sister. I loathed him for it.
"I am staying here," sobbed Meritaten.
"No! You are not!" His voice dropped so that I could barely hear him. "For Aten's sake, you will come, and you will keep your composure, and we will finish this conversation when we return!"
Smenkhkre headed towards the entrance. What was I to do? I needed to act innocent, so I calmly walked passed and headed in the direction of the gardens, hoping he would not notice me.
"Ankhesenpaaten?"
Dam!  I slowly turned around and curtseyed. "Yes, brother?"
He looked at me suspiciously. "What were you doing?"
"Heading to the gardens, like father requested, brother."
"Hmm. So you just walked from your bedchambers, pass here, on your way to the gardens?"
"Yes."
He looked at me for a bit longer, and then headed in the direction of the men's wing. I sighed, and went to my original destination. I prayed that my ib would not record that exchange as a bad deed. I did not lie to him. I merely avoided the truth. There was a difference.
When I arrived at the gardens, my mother and younger siblings were already there. Tutankhaten was bouncing around excitedly. It was hilarious. I had to laugh.
Mother, however, was not. "Where is the Pharaoh? It is over one hour. He cannot boss us around to be on time and then be late himself!"
"Mother, I think he can...he is the Pharaoh, after all."
She ignored me. "Guards. Have you seen the Pharaoh lately?"
One guard nodded. "Indeed I have, my Queen. He was on his was here but the Grand Vizier pulled him over for a word."
"That man will be the death of me," Mother muttered. "Thank you. Ankhesenpaaten, come with me. Guards, I want you to look after those three until we come back with the Pharaoh. Do not take your eyes off them," Mother warned. "Or else. You know what the Pharaoh will do if he is lost."
The guards nodded. "Of course, my Queen. We will guard them with our life."
"Good. Ankhesenpaaten, come." Mother marched off, with myself jogging to keep up. "Mother, what are we doing? Father will come when Ay has finished talking to him. It may be important."
"Nothing that pedantic little man says will ever be important. Hurry, we must find your father quickly. They will be in his chambers."
Mother threw open the doors to his private chambers, with me trailing behind quietly. Sure enough, my father and the vizier were talking, and looked up in shock when mother burst into the room.
"Nefertiti, what is the matter?" Father began, standing up as she marched towards them. However, she ignored father and rounded on Ay.
"Ay. You were aware we had a certain time to leave. Yet you still took your time with the Pharaoh. The children are distraught. They thought their father had let them down. The one thing I love more than Egypt is my children. You are the cause for their misery. Not only that, you put bad thoughts in their head about their father." Mother's  tone was quiet, but deadly. There was hidden resentment in her eyes; resentment that I could tell Ay knew about.
He bowed, low and deep. "Queen Nefertiti, I apologise. I had to speak to Akhenaten about..." He faltered. "What is the Princess doing here?"
"Because she is my daughter, and I am the Queen. And if I want my daughter to come with me, then she will come!" Mother shouted. Ay bowed again.
"Again, I apologise."
Father got over his initial shock and began talking. "My dear, I am sorry that the children are upset. You are absolutely right. This was meant to be a family day. Ay, I shall speak with you tomorrow. We are leaving now."
Father walked towards the entrance. "Inform the scribe to write down any events that happen here while I am gone. Including if any people come. That will be all."
We followed father out, as I closed the door behind me.
"Nefertiti, I am truly sorry I upset the girls and Tutankhaten."
Mother shook her head. "It was not you, Akhenaten. It was Ay - his fault. We would be on the cliffs by now, had it not been for him."
"You are right, yes, but please, I beg you, try to like him? It pains me to see how much the two of you hate each other."
Mother laughed. "You will have to command him. He does his best to spite me, and oh, how he does. I would not have a problem if he would just leave me alone."
"If he purposely attempts to stir you, do not let him. It will only spite him more. But enough of that. Will you be riding in my chariot, O Beautiful One?"
Mother rolled her eyes. "I think I will keep my life, thank you."
"So is that a yes?"
"That is most definitely a no."
Father laughed. "You used to always ride in my chariot..."
Mother gasped in mock disbelief. "Never!"
Father laughed again as we arrived at the gardens once more. Nobody was around. Mother's smile disappeared in an instant. "They were here. I told the guards not to move. I told them to guard them with their lives! Neferneferure? Neferneferuaten Tarsherit?"
"Tutankhaten?!" Father called. He ran inside. "Guards, I want you to scour the gardens for Tutankhaten, Neferneferure and Neferneferuaten Tasherit. Do not return until you find them. Go!"
The soldiers did so without another word. Mother was already looking nearby. Father walked up to her, and hugged her. "They cannot have gone far. I have Axrylicre and Timous searching for them. They are two of my best guards. We will find them. They probably just went around the corner."
The two guards ran back to the Pharaoh. "Sire, they are in the storage chambers."
"Why are they there?" Father demanded.
The guards bowed. "They are choosing chariots. Prince Smenkhkre and Princess Meritaten are also with them."
Father sighed. "Take us there."
The guards lead us on in indirect route to the back of the palace, near the servant's quarters. Sure enough, everyone was at the storage, waiting for us.
Tutankhaten bounded up. "Father! You are here! We can go now! Smenkhkre and I chose our chariots while we were waiting. Yours is already ready."
"Thank you. Where is the Royal Carriage to transport us up the cliffs? It should be here already."
"Some of the guards went to get them a while ago. They should be here now."
Sure enough, not a minute after Tutankhaten said that, Sete and another guard came with the two Royal Carriages. Mother, Father, Meritaten and Smenkhkre went in the first one while myself, Tutankhaten, Neferneferure and Neferneferuaten Tarsherit piled in the second one.
"What are you guys going to do while we are racing?" Tutankhaten asked.
"Well, perhaps father will let us ride with you," Neferneferuaten Tarsherit suggested.
"Well, none of you are joining me! You will all distract me!"
I gasped in mock horror. "Distract you? Why, brother, we would never dream of it!"
Neferneferure laughed. "Quite!"
The carriage rocked as we made our way up the cliffs.
"No, we will probably just watch," Neferneferure corrected, answering Tutankhaten's previous question. "I highly doubt father would let us on the chariots, especially with
you driving it!"
"What is that supposed to me?"
A third carriage, one full of guards, had made it to the cliffs before us, so they were setting up the horses and chariots when we arrived. Father's was nowhere to be seen. Some guards were on the edge of the cliff, looking for it.
"I think we should go down and see where it is," Sete suggested.
"It may be coming up further along the ridges. There may be no point in going down," argued another guard - I think father said his name was Timous?
"The three most important people in the country are in there. We must take every precaution!"
"They can't be lost. It is barren desert. The reason why we can't see them is because they are coming up further to the south. You need not worry."
"The Pharaoh is in there!" exclaimed Sete. "Of course I will worry!"
Eventually, Sete and two other guards went down to investigate. Timous was left to guard us. While my brother was playing with his chariot, and pretending to drive it, my sisters and I were standing around awkwardly waiting for someone to give us instructions.
Minutes passed. No sign of Sete. They may not have even been halfway down the cliffs.
After thirty minutes or so, I was getting anxious. "This is ridiculous," I muttered. I walked over to the cliffs and began my descent, trying to ignore Timous.
"Princess Ankhesenpaaten! What on earth are you doing? Get back up here now!"
"No," I said, trying not to slip. "They have been gone far too long. I am going down to have a look."
"You could fall and kill yourself! Your parents would murder me alive."
"Would they?" I asked, turning around. "Where are they then?"
I continued down the slope, though I hadn't gone far. It wasn't a complete cliff - steep and rocky, yes, but it wasn't impossible.
"Ankhesenpaaten! Come on, please come back up. You will hurt yourself!" Neferneferure cried.
"Have a little faith in me," I replied, not looking back. "I shall return soon."
"Ankhesenpaaten, if the Queen sees that you have gone down these cliffs by yourself, leaving your dress in tatters - forget father, Queen Nefertiti will not be easy to deal with. She will murder you," pointed out Tutankhaten.
I paused. He was correct; mother would not be happy, no matter how noble my cause. Reluctantly, I turned around and climbed back up. My once white dress was already covered in an ugly brown colour. Mother would not be impressed.
Timous held out his hand as I reached the summit. "Glad you came to your senses, Princess Ankhesenpaaten," he said, helping me up.
"Hmm." I walked over to my siblings. "No one is to know the details. Understand?"
They nodded solemnly.
There were shouts from below. Timous ran down to have a look.
"Sete? What is going on?"
Sete ran up to us, breathless. "The wheels on the carriage broke down. The Pharaoh and Queen are on their way up the cliffs, by foot, now."
I turned to face Tutankhaten with a smug look on my face. "How could mother be mad at me if she had to do it herself?"
He ignored me. "Does this mean we get to ride our chariots now?"
"When they get here, yes, my Prince," Timous replied.
Father and his entourage finally reached the summit. He and mother were walking underneath a small canopy at the start, and behind them, Meritaten and Smenkhkre were walking in the same manner.
"Right," father said as they reached us. "Now that we are here, where are the chariots? We must get started right away!"
Timous bowed. "They are over there, Sire, where your son, Prince Tutankhaten is. He has been waiting anxiously for you the entire time. It has been quite comical, actually."
"Well, we can race now. Smenkhkre, are you alright?"
Smenkhkre coughed. "Fine, father. I will get my chariot ready."
Soon enough, they were all in their chariots, holding the reins, ready to go.
"Father, brother, on your marks....get set...Go!" Tutankhaten declared, as the horses bolted off, leaving a trail of dust behind.
I laughed. It seemed like they were all enjoying themselves - even Smenkhkre was having a good time. It wasn't often I was able to see my brothers and father - some of the most important people in Egypt - relax and have fun together like this. I wished it would happen more often.
"Can you drive a chariot?" I asked Sete, who was standing next to me.
"When I was younger, my father taught me. He was also a Royal Guard, in the service of Amenhotep III."
I nodded. I wasn't sure what to say, but I didn't need to say anything because Tutankhaten raced up and stopped. "I won!" He exclaimed. "I beat father and Smenkhkre!"
Meritaten laughed. "I do not think he would be very pleased!"
"He wasn't!" Tutankhaten grinned, but left to go back in the direction that he had came.
We all looked at each other, and burst out laughing.

The day was a great success. Even my sisters and I got to join them at one stage. Mother, of course, went with father - despite her protests. But he ordered her to.
As we returned to the palace that night, Father was flanked by staff and advisors. In the centre, was, of course - Ay. Mother just looked, and, shaking her head, left for her chambers. I was tempted to listen, but I remembered my promise to the Pharaoh. I would not eavesdrop on his conversations.
I walked away, off to my bedchambers, ready to retire after a great day