Chapter Twenty

We had been waiting for Huy, Sete, and Bek to return for what seemed like hours. Kahmose and I kept talking, with the occasional breaks of walking up and down the banks and over the dunes to see if we could see the people who were supposed to be guarding me.
Honestly, I did not mind being alone with Kahmose. I loved talking to him; listening to him speak. His eyes would glint and reflect Aten's rays when talking about something he loved. I relished in hearing about the things in his life, and I loved being the only one he told some things to.
"Thank you, Ankhesenpaaten," Kahmose said all of the sudden.
"What? Why? What did I do?" I asked, surprised.
"Well, if you had not stayed friends with us, Huy and I would have gone about our normal, boring lives of struggling. I would even be dead, because you would not have been there to save me! But because we are friends, you gave us something to look forward too. I just wanted to say thank you."
I blushed. "Well, I could easily say the same about you two. I had no real friendships or anything until I met you two. My days would just have been the same old, same old."
Kahmose grinned but shook his head. "No, that is different. You live in the palace; you could do anything to occupy your time. You had your siblings to play with. Huy and I could not really do anything. We would spend our days bartering, or thieving from the rich, just to sell it again for extra food. Nothing interesting. But then you came along, and you were so innocent - and you trusted us. We could have tricked you, robbed you, anything. But you trusted us, and we didn't, and look at us now. Thank you, Ankhesenpaaten. You truly will make the best Queen that this nation has ever seen," Kahmose smiled. I was shocked with what I saw. His eyes...they were glinting. The sun reflected off them. But he was talking about me...
I blushed again, and looked down. "Oh, I doubt I will ever be Queen. And even if I do become Queen, I will not best all the Queens that have gone before me. Even Hatshepsut, of my own dynasty - what about her?"
"Even Hatshepsut," Kahmose insisted. "You are amazing."
"Kahmose, stop it!" I scolded teasingly. "You are making me blush too often!"
Kahmose rolled his eyes. "Ah, that just means you are humble! And that's a good thing!" he exclaimed.
I smiled, shaking my head. "Really, Kahmose, stop it!"
"I can't," he said quietly. "It's true. You're beautiful."
I did not how it happened. The next thing that I knew, Kahmose's soft, warm lips were against mine. I was surprised, but I did not resist. I kissed him back passionately. I knew it was wrong. I knew I was too be married soon. I knew I was a Princess, and he was a peasant. But in that moment, I did not care. I just wanted him.
Kahmose pulled away. "Ankhesenpaaten...I've tried to hide it. I've tried to ignore it. But I can't. I love you. I really, really do. And even though I've tried to ignore it, because you're a Princess - the sister of the Pharaoh - I - I think I've known that I've loved you since I met you. And I don't want to hide it anymore."
"Kahmose..." I hesitated. "I - I think I love you too. For a long time, I have had these feelings for you that I have not known what they are. But...I think I love you too."
Kahmose smiled, his eyes gleaming. "Huy knows that I love you, too. I can never hide anything from her. I hope you are ok with that."
I laughed. "I would trust Huy with my life. You can tell her anything; I do not mind."
Kahmose sighed, relived. "I'm glad. I would hate for us to disagree on anything."
"You are acting like we are married!" I laughed. "I think that that is skipping a couple of stages."
Kahmose grinned. "Never!"
I loved talking to Kahmose. I loved him.
I yawned, even though it was hardly midday. Kahmose looked worried. "Are you tired?" He moved closer to me. "Do you want to return to the palace? I can take you home, and then you can send some guards to find your guards and Huy while you rest," he suggested.
I leaned against his warm, firm chest. "I am tired," I admitted. "But I do not want to go home. Not just yet."
Kahmose did not say anything, just stroked my hair. The tide was rising; my feet were now dangling in the water. Bek, Huy and Sete still had not returned. But perhaps that was for the best. I wanted to spend more time with Kahmose. I did not want to be without him just yet. I wanted to stay just a little longer.
I lay in Kahmose's lap as he stroked my hair and kissed my forehead. I smiled gently up at him, but I truly was tired. Soon, I felt my eyelids grow heavy and they soon fluttered shut, despite my hardest efforts to keep myself away. The last thing I heard before  I fell asleep was Kahmose softly laughing and the distant thunder of footsteps running.