Chapter Twenty-One

I was awoken by the loud sound of bare feet running through the hallway outside my room. What was going on? Alarmed, I sat up, just as the doors were flung open and Kahmose burst through, followed closely by Huy. 

"Ankhesenpaaten! Are you ok?" he exclaimed, running up to my bed. "What happened? The guards said nothing."

"We knew something was wrong when you sent the guards, instead of, well, yourself," Huy added. "So we ran here, leaving them behind, and I think we may have attracted the attention of the Vizier, running through the halls. No doubt he will not be happy. Sorry about that."

I waved it away. "I can handle Ay. He is nothing to me."

"So what's wrong?" Kahmose asked, taking my hand and sitting on the end of the bed.

I took a deep gulp and told them everything that I had heard since the first time I had woken up. I told them how my mother, and my little sisters, were no longer in this world, and I failed at hiding my sadness. How could I not be sad? I would never see my mother, Neferneferuaten Tarsherit, or Neferneferure ever again. They had been taken from me all at once. And to make it even better: none of my family members had come to visit me to see if I was alright. I understood that they were doing their own mourning, but I was horribly ill, I almost died, and then I find out that I was the cause of my mother's and sisters' death.

Needless to say, I was not the happiest person along the delta.

As I was talking, Huy and Kahmose each hugged me, making me falter. I knew they were only trying to help, but their compassion only made me feel worse. How was I to pretend to be strong when it was a though they were telling me not to be?

Kahmose squeezed my hand without saying anything.

"Are you ok?" Huy asked gently. I swallowed.

"No," I replied, barely audible, and yet somehow I was still heard. I was slightly annoyed, as I did not want to be portrayed as weak. But Kahmose and Huy did not seem to care whether I admitted my feelings, or I cried. They just hugged me tighter.

After a while I pushed them away, and wiped my face with my hand. I needed some space. I needed to think.

"Is there anything we can do?" asked Kahmose generously.

I shook my head. "No." And even though I needed to think, I wanted them to stay. I mean, I had sent for them, and they had only just gotten here. What good would it be if I sent them away so soon?

"Stay," I whispered hoarsely. "Just stay."

Huy nodded understandably. "We're not gonna go anywhere."

Kahmose stroked my forehead. "You're still tired, and ill. Go back to sleep, and we'll worry about this when you're feeling a bit better, alright?"

I nodded, too weak to protest. Huy got up and left the room. I faintly heard her shouting for a servant, and my suspicions were conformed when Nebt came running in with a jug of cold water, followed by Huy. "Have some sips of water. It will help you," Huy insisted. I smiled gratefully and raised the jug to my lips.

"Rest," Kahmose repeated. Obediently, I shut my eyes and began to sleep.

I yawned, and sat up straight in my bed. My throat was hoarse and every bone in my body ached. I had fallen asleep again. What was with me and falling asleep for long periods of time, and only being awake for a matter of minutes? Which reminded me: Where was Kahmose and Huy? How long had I been asleep? Did I miss anything important? Had I died?