NOTE

This book is copyright. No-one can use it in for them within and outside of Wattpad, unless with my permission and acknowledgement that I wrote this.

This story is based on true events, with people who actually existed, but is a work of fiction. Some things I write about did not actually happen.

A little background information before you start reading:

This book is set in 1334BC. At this time, the civilisation of Ancient Egypt was in turmoil. The main character, Ankhesenpaaten, who narrates the story, was the third daughter of heretic pharaoh Akhenaten (formerly Amenhotep IV) and Queen Nefertiti, who most people know from the famous bust of her head, which currently resides in the Berlin Museum, Germany.

Akhenaten had many wives, but the main ones in this story are Nefertiti, and his sister, Kiya.

Before Akhenaten was Pharaoh, he had a son with Kiya, whose name became Smenkhkre. At the beginning of this story, Prince Smenkhkre is Crown Prince and is 28 years of age.

His next child was from Nefertiti, also before he was pharaoh, and was a girl - Meritaten. She was later married to Smenkhkre and is 22.

The next four children were all girls and from Nefertiti, and in age, their names are:
Meketaten (15)
Ankhesenpaaten (14; name later changed to Ankhesenamun)
Neferneferure (9)
Setepenre (9; twins with Neferneferure, however, she is already dead when this story starts)

After those five girls, Akhenaten had another boy, with Kiya. His name became Tutankhaten (name later changed to Tutankhaum) and is possibly the most famous Pharaoh. Most people know him as King Tut, and is famous for the stunning gold death mask found on his body in his tomb. When this story begins, he is eight years of age.

The youngest child of Akhenaten is from Nefertiti, is 8, and her name is Neferneferuaten Tasherit.

Akhenaten and Nefertiti were known for the radical decision to abandon the religion Egypt had kept to for 3000 years, and create their own - the sole worship of one God, the Aten (the sun disc). However, while Akhenaten ruled for 17 years, they only introduced this religion in the seventh year of his reign.

Smenkhkre, and the three eldest girls were born in Thebes (modern day Luxour), the old capital; while the other four children were born in Akhetaten, the new capital (modern day Amarna).

I also just want to clarify that this time period is extremely hazy to Egyptologists. While we have discovered much (found the palace in Amarna, the temple, the Boundary Stele; different statues and even some tombs), most of the information has been lost. 3500 years of wear has erased some critical information off the objects found, and the two Pharaohs after Tutankhamun set about trying to erase the Amarnan period from history. Thankfully, they didn't completely succeed, though. You will meet these two Pharaohs in the book.

Since much information is not definite, for example - we know someone died, but how? - historians and Egyptologists have had to piece together the information that we do have. Although, some confusion still remains.

The biggest piece of confusion about the Royal family is the mysterious person, Smenkhkre. Nobody really knows exactly who he was, and what his role was. Some documents state that he was a co-regent of the Pharaoh; ruling side by side with his father. Some say he only became Pharaoh when Akhenaten died, and only for about two years. Some say that another mysterious person, Neferneferure (possibly Nefertiti, just under another name) was Pharaoh for about six months after the death of Akhenaten, and then Smenkhkre was Pharaoh. Others say Smenkhkre was actually not even a man, that he was Nefertiti. However, this has been disproved because in a tomb of a high noble, there has been a scene depicted on a wall of Smenkhkre and his wife, Meritaten, mourning at a funeral. He was also wearing Royal Garments of a male.

For my story, I have gone with the most popular theory that Smenkhkre was the son of Akhenaten to Kiya, and that he was not a co regent, and he became Pharaoh for about a year and a half until he died. Since little is known about the mysterious Neferneferure (Nefertiti?), I have decided to leave her out.

And I feel like I need to clarify to those unsure, that I do know what I am talking about. I have done lots of research, all conforming what I already know. I have loved Egypt since I was a young child and I can even read hieroglyphics. I know so much about Ancient Egypt, and in particular this time frame, so please trust that the majority of what you read is true. The ages of the children in the year this is set is true. The lifestyle they live is true. The names of people are real names that people would have been called in Ancient Egypt. Please trust me.

Sorry for wasting your time, reading all of this. Enjoy THE JEWEL OF THE NILE!

UPDATE: I will be rewriting this once I finish my new book, Forgotten Heir. Please keep in mind that I wrote most of this when I was young and 75% is not well written.