Chapter Twenty-Seven

The carriage Tutankhaten and I were in was not comfortable in the slightest. The people carrying us must have deliberately been walking up and down over the stones in the road. It was not a smooth ride, and yet, my brother still managed to fall asleep almost as soon as we left the Great Palace. I knew he was tired, even if he did not know it himself. I myself was finding it difficult to keep my eyes open, but I knew we would be at the North Palace soon. It was not that  long a walk. Surely only thirty minutes, at the most.

I pulled back the curtain so I could watch the city as we walked by. Aten was only just setting in the distance and the sky was a beautiful orange. I felt the warmth of the sun on my face and I knew Aten was watching us. I knew that He had heard my prayers.

The people had returned to their homes and everyday lives; the city was as it should be, although some people who noticed us turned their heads and bowed was we went past their position. 

I waved to the people who acknowledged us but I still watched them once they returned to their duties. Even though it was becoming dark, some people were still harvesting their crops, or buying goods from the markets. The suburbs were far from silent. 

Soon, we left behind all the houses and suddenly I was looking at farmland and desert. Some animals were kept here, like cows and horses, but it was mainly crops. Some farmers were bent over in their fields, harvesting the wheat and what appeared to be lettuce. Perhaps they would be taking their food home to their families to cook up for the night, or store the wheat in a silo, or trade it for some better, well prepared meal. Did they make the food at their homes like we did? I was shocked when I realised how little I actually knew about the lives of my own people. How could I be a good Queen if I did not even know how they lived?

I made up my mind to perhaps ask Huy and Kahmose when I next saw them, or maybe even go into the villages and ask hem myself. They will learn that I am genuinely concerned about their well-being and perhaps support for  me will grow. 

The houses came into the distance again and I realised we were entering the North Suburbs. Not long now and we would be back in the palace. After a long day, I would finally be able to rest on my soft pillow and woollen sheets.

Unless...unless the Pharaoh wished for me to return to that cell. But he would not do that now that I was married...now that I was the heiress. Surely not.

I supposed there was no way to know until we got back. My brother's mind was one that no other mortal could read. He was unpredictable, which could be a good thing, yes. 

But it could also be bad.

My brother could be complicated. For all of his life but now, he had distanced himself from us - well, all of us except father - so we no longer knew what he was capable of or what his morals were. Did he even have any? I was doubtful.

The rock of the carriage as we were placed on the ground was enough to wake up my brother. He rolled over and almost fell out! I grabbed his arm and pulled him back in so that he would not fall flat on the ground. "Tutankhaten! Be careful!"

"Are we back now?" He muttered, his eyes still closed. I hesitated before answering him. We had definitely stopped, but why had no one come to help us out yet? In fact, it sounded as though there was nobody around.

"I do not know..." I pulled open a curtain only to announce that my suspicions were correct. "We are, but everybody has gone."

"Why would they have left us here?" My brother asked, leaning over to look out.

"I know not...I shall have a look."

"Be careful, Ankhesenpaaten."

I turned around and cast him a look. "What is the worst that will happen to me? Someone will jump out and stab me with a knife from the kitchen?"