Chapter Twenty-Nine

The days after the executions all seemed to merge together. Again, the same activities were performed, day in, day out. Occasionally Meritaten and Smenkhkre would have a wedding of some sort to attend to, in which Tutankhaten and I would have the day to ourselves, but otherwise - the day would be completely, utterly booked.

Smenkhkre seemed to pay no attention to the warning from the leader of the rebellion, although he was harsher with his punishments on those who broke his laws. He seemed to believe that he could simply 'scare' people into obeying him.

Even I could see that would not work.

Even I could see he was having even more difficulty enforcing his rule than ever.

I remember one time I overheard Ay and Smenkhkre speaking about it. I was walking along the corridor when I heard them in a nearby room mentioning it. The conversation intrigued me, so yes, I listened in. It was an undignified trait for me to have, and I prayed daily for Aten to forgive me from it, but still my curiosity continually got the better of me.

As far as I can recall, the conversation went something like this:

"Your Majesty, I fear we cannot be cautious enough. You say that the prisoner's words were only idle threats, but look around you! The Kingdom is falling apart as we speak. We cannot go back to the age before your ancestors - before the Pharaoh Ahmose, when the Hyskos ruled. The land would erupt into chaos! Ma'at would be broken! You cannot allow that to happen," Ay cried.

I heard Smenkhkre pace around the small room they were in. They had clearly chosen the location so that nobody would suspect them, but they had forgotten that the room lacked other vital things - for instance, if someone yelled, or stomped around, it could be heard throughout the palace.

"I think I know how to rule my land, Ay," Smenkhkre hissed, clearly annoyed at the vizier. I sensed Ay backing away and was conformed by next words that I heard.

"I apologise, My Pharaoh. I did not mean to offend you, or by any means doubt your capabilities. But the people are restless. You need to do something to show them you are fit to be their King! They stray from Aten, and they believe that they have the freedom to portray their views. You have to prove that you are still worthy of their worship, My Pharaoh," Ay persisted.

There was silence. The large, wooden doors were shut so I could not peak in to see what was happening - although, if I did that anyway, there would be no doubt that I would be caught. I could not risk such a thing happening to me at this particular time, when the Pharaoh was so stressed. He would surely throw me in the cells again without a second thought.

Smenkhkre finally spoke. "It is illegal for them to worship the fake Gods. Any resistance is punishable by death."

"Yes, but that will not help the people's attitude towards you. This same thing happened with your father, only months before he passed. I said the same thing to him that I say to you now: do not kill those in the favour of the people. They will come to hate you even more. I beg of you, Pharaoh Smenkhkre...do not do anything rash."

"Are you saying the people hate me? And that this problem has be going on for so long? Since my father's death?" The Pharaoh's voice rose up ever so slightly, with a tinge (well, more than a tinge) of anger and deadliness.

However, Ay did not seem afraid. "I wish I could tell you otherwise, but on my father's grave, I will not lie and blaspheme against Aten."

"Then what do you propose I do, O Wise Grand Vizier?"

"You can no longer sit back and watch. I advised your father to do that. The situation has gotten worse. I propose you give them what they want."

I could barely believe what I was hearing. Ay, a loyal servant to our family, was secretly a worshipper of the old Gods? He had betrayed us!