Chapter Thirty-Eight

In the days that followed the death of Meritaten and Smenkhkre, Tutankhaten and I were promptly coronated and then the chaos began.

First, Tutankhaten and I were given a list of tasks that had been neglected during the reign of my older brother. Amongst these included the restoration of all the old temples in Waset and around the site of the famed pyramids. 

"I understand that we no longer worship these gods," Ay had told us. "But nonetheless, they are an important part of our history. Besides, many of these temples include the funerary temples of the deceased kings of old."

The Vizier had told us that if Tutankhaten ensured the smooth restoration of the list of temples, we would have the favour of the people in no time at all.

Next, we had to select our personal staff. Of course, Tutankhaten kept Ahset as his personal maid, and I was planning to do the same with Nebt, when she approached me out of the blue one morning.

"My Queen," she bowed, failing to look me in the eye. "I'm afraid that I can no longer take care of you. I was your nurse when you were young. You are no longer a child - you are the Queen! And now, you have no need for me here."

"Nebt!" I cried. "You cannot be leaving. I have known you all my life! Why can't you stay?"

"I am an old woman, Ankhesenpaaten," she explained. "My time to join my gods in the afterlife is arriving soon. Please, grant an old woman's dying wish. Allow me to return to my family to live out my days."

I had tears in my eyes, but I did as she had asked. Nebt was no longer in my service.

"Perhaps you could give that friend of yours the position of the Queen's Personal Maid," Nebt suggested as she left my chambers for the last time. "Give her something to do with her life."

Since the day Meritaten and Smenkhkre had been killed, Kahmose and Huy had stayed in the guest apartments of the palace. I felt as though I needed them close by, at least during the early days of my reign, and, much to Ay's disapproval, I allowed them to be entitled to the same privileges that myself or Tutankhaten were.

"Huy," I called out as I entered the chamber in which she was staying in. "I have an idea."

"Oh, hello there, Ankhesenamun," my friend replied happily, looking up from where she was sitting. "I had just noticed this game over here. Do you know what it is?"

Frowning, I shook my head. The game consisted of a thin, wooden board, with thirty squares painted on. Small game pieces were clustered on either side of the board. Some of the squares had funny markings on them.

"No, I suppose you wouldn't, would you? It's called Senet. Would you like me to teach you how to play?"

"Not right now. Maybe later. I need to talk to you about something," I said, sitting down on her bed. "Huy, how much do you like living here?"

Huy cocked her head to the side. "What do you mean?"

"Do you like staying in the palace?" I asked. "Is it enjoyable? Better than staying in your house in the city? Or is it boring?"

Huy shrugged. "I like it - of course I do! I mean, just look at this chamber!" She gestured around herself. "And don't even get me started on the food. But you're right, it can be a bit boring at times. You and your brother are busy, and will no doubt be busy for the rest of your lives. There isn't much for Kahmose and I to do."

"What if I gave you something to do?"

"What do you mean?" My friend asked again.

"Huy, my maid has resigned. She no longer wishes to work in the palace," I sighed. "And I was wondering if maybe you wanted to become my personal maid?"