Chapter Twenty-Two

I spent months recovering. Some days, I would almost be up to my full health. Others, I would barely be able to breathe. I had heard that a sarcophagus had even been made for me in preparation of my death. Thankfully, however, it was not necessary. After almost three months bedridden, I had finally recovered from whatever strange illness had affected me. In fact, today was the day that I would finally be permitted to walk around the palace halls once more. Huy and Kahmose had left a week after Ay had originally come into my chambers. He did try teaching me his incoherent lessons but I would never pay any attention to him, or I would just completely ignore him. Thankfully, soon after that Ay did not return, although he did come on other, more formal related subjects, although these we rare.

Once every often, Meritaten or Tutankhaten would come to visit me. I still half-expected to see my younger sisters somewhere around; I was still not adjusted to the fact that I would never see them again. Nonetheless, I had to get over this. I assumed that once I was permitted outside I would face reality much sooner than I had in my confinement.

Nebt opened the doors a tad and peered around it. "Princess Ankhesenpaaten? Are you ready for your dress fitting?"

I frowned, and sat up. "Need I not break my fast first?"

Nebt blushed and entered the room completely. "Well, the Pharaoh saw it best that you eat after the fittings."

I still thought this was strange but nodded anyway. "I suppose then that if my half-brother has commanded it then I have no choice."

Nebt made no effort to reply. Instead, she merely selected a plain, simple dress for me to wear to the dress fitting. Which, for some reason, made me think: dress fitting for what?

A knock at the doors alerted me that the tailor had already arrived. Surprised that things were going so quick, I took the short, wobbly walk to my doors to open them for him instead of Nebt.

Strangely enough, it was not the tailor at all. It was the Pharaoh, and a small entourage of slaves. Stunned, I sank to my knees, astonished that he would be visiting me today and that he would knock on my doors. 

My brother nodded to me, and I gracefully rose to my feet, but kept my head bowed.

"My Pharaoh," I said, keeping my eyes glued to a single tile on the floor behind him. "To what do I owe the honour?"

Smenkhakre glanced critically around the room. "It smells like disease in here," he commented. "Someone send in some fresh flowers or smelling salts."

A servant scurried off to do as he had commanded. Smenkhakre wandered near my window, and looked out over Egypt.

"Tis quite the view you have here," he said to me.

"Quite," I replied. I was still unsure of why he was here. He had not visited me once when I almost died. Now why?

The Pharaoh turned to face me. "I think we shall move your chambers to somewhere with a less opportunity for the public to see you. Perhaps the unoccupied room overlooking the gardens."

"But why? What is wrong with this one? I have had it since I was a child," I protested.

Smenkhakre glanced at me. "You still are a child."

I felt like snapping back at him, like arguing with him, but I could not. He was the Pharaoh of Egypt, and I knew my place. Although I was no longer a child. I knew that for certain. My childhood was gone. I was an Egyptian Princess, not a child. It was the one thing that I could not stand being called.

But somehow, I kept my temper. I knew that if I did not the only thing that would happen to me as a result was being punished for arguing; yelling and shouting at my king. My brother, and my Pharaoh. He was higher than me in family life and in politics. I was nothing compared to him.