Chapter Sixteen

"So is that the only reason you came to see us?" Kahmose asked, sitting down on a rock next to me.
"Well yes, but I wanted to see both of you, of course!" I replied. "But tell me - why did you help me?"
"What?"
"You heard me - why did you save me today? Why not just let me deal with them on my own? I am a Princess of Egypt, I should be able to handle situations such as those other ease."
"Are you mad at me?"
"Not in the slightest," I disagreed. "I just want to know why you helped me."
Kahmose looked surprised but continued to answer my question. "Well, because you are my friend."
"Perhaps so, but it truly would not have mattered if I died. It would not effect you in any way. And you know this. So why save me?"
"Well, you also saved my life, so I was returning the favour."
"Is that so?"
"Yes."
"No other reason?"
"No."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes."
I smiled slyly. Honestly, I did not even know why I asked those extra questions. Looking back now, I realise my subconscious must have been trying to tell me something - something that indicated that Kahmose was lying when he said there was no other reason.
I did not say anything for a while, but Kahmose broke the silence. "How has the palace life been? I mean, minus the whole rebellion thing."
I laughed. "It is normal. Smenkhkre however has been keeping an eye on me, but I saw today as the perfect escape.  With everyone so busy trying to protect the Pharaoh, I figured they would not notice if I slipped away for a short period of time. But everything has been fine, I suppose. I have lessons most days now. And when I do not, Meritaten talks to me, or I play with Tutankhaten, or myself, Smenkhkre, Meritaten and mother play senet together. Nothing exciting," I explained.
Kahmose nodded. "And how is your mother? We have not seen nor heard of her since your half-brother became Pharaoh."
"She is fine, although she does mostly keep to herself, nor does she do anything anymore. I suppose it is because she does not know what to do. She is not the Queen anymore; and she has been married to my father for over twenty years - it has been so long that she most like does not remember what to do when she was alone, without her grand title or my father. And the last time it was like it, she was younger than me. She just needs to learn how to adjust to this new life, although she helps Meritaten behind the scenes. But yes. She is fine, it will just take her a while to get used to."
"And what about you?" Kahmose asked.
"Me? Well, I am fine. I told you what I have been up to," I said, frowning.
"No, I mean, you will be in a new lifestyle too soon - the wife of the heir!  What is happening with that?"
"Oh, that. Well, Meritaten said that Ay told her that father wanted me to marry Tutankhaten, and she is fine with it. Smenkhkre and mother do not know though - Meritaten said she will tell me when she thinks the timing is right. I trust her, and I do have to do as she says - she is the Queen," I answered.
Kahmose nodded again. "I think you will make a great Queen."
I snorted. "Please, I would be a terrible Queen. I have not been bred for it. Until recently, I had two older sisters. So Meketaten would always get the small part of learning about how to help rule Egypt. I never had those, and I still do not. Besides, I truly believe that Smenkhkre and Meketaten will have children. They will rule for many years, and Smenkhkre will have other wives, and if he cannot have a child with my sister, he will father children with his other wives. That is the way of the world. It does not even matter," I brushed his compliment off. Every word I said was true. Smenkhkre would have children. I would not be Queen. Did I even want to be Queen? It seemed like such a huge responsibility.
"Perhaps so, but until he does have children, you and Prince Tutankhaten are the heirs, and we must act like you are going to become Queen, to be safe."
I did not reply. Kahmose had a point, but I neglected to acknowledge it. Besides, even if I did have to become Queen, it would not be for a while, at the very least.
"I found a stray cat," Kahmose said suddenly. "I was walking in the markets, and I found the poor thing shivering and meowing profusely. So I took it home and looked after it. I am trying to tame it."
I smiled politely. "Have you named it yet?"
Kahmose shook his head. "No. We have not thought of one yet."
I tilted my head to the side, thinking. "What does it look like?"
Kahmose smiled. "She is black with orange stripes, like a little tiger. But her eyes are blue, as blue as the sky. She is beautiful."
"Hmm... What about Delta, after the Nile delta?" I suggested. Kahmose laughed.
"Delta - it is perfect." His eyes twinkled as he laughed. He thought that Delta had beautiful eyes - it was a shame he could not see himself. His blue eyes were like the sea; mild, but unpredictable. As the blue winter sky and the ocean in the spring. His eyes were flawless, just like the sky above.
What was happening to me?
Whatever it was, it ceased to matter then. Kahmose kept telling me about his new cat, and while I was not completely interested, yes, I did want to meet it, but more to the point - I did not really care what he was talking about, I was just glad that he was talking to me. I loved talking to him. I loved being around his presence.
What was happening to me?
The rest of the day slipped away. We did not do anything - just talked. The tide of the Nile rose throughout the day, until the water was lapping at my feet. Everyday, the tide would increase, but that was to be expected; it was nearing the Nile's annual floods. Crocodiles slid past us, with their reptilian eyes. Ducks and ibises walked and swam I and around the edge of the waters. Eagles swooped down to catch fish.
As Aten got closer and closer to the horizon, I realised how much time had passed. I stood up urgently, ignoring the water splashing at my ankles, and pointed to the sun.
"I need to go," I said.
"Come on. I'll walk you there."
Kahmose took my hand and lead me around the banks of the Nile, avoiding any crocodiles basking in the afternoon light. We walked through the long, swishy grass at first, but then Kahmose took me through the city instead of the outskirts. The crowds had evaporated away. It was like a ghost town. What had happened when we were away? It was probably nothing.
Kahmose stuck to his promise and walked me to the gate like he said he would. When we got there, he paused before opening the gate for me, as though he did not know what to say.
"Come back soon," he said eventually. "I will miss you."
I smiled gently. "I will. I shall miss you too, although, I suppose, who would not?"
Kahmose smiled back, but his eyes were full of sadness. Was it that bad that I was going? "Send my regards to Huy when she comes back," I told him, but he looked away again.
"You should go. I don't want you getting in trouble again," he said, avoiding my gaze. I was too tired to follow up on it, so I just smiled softly and left.
I begin to panic as I neared the palace. Perhaps Kahmose was still there? I could run back and go with him. For I did not want to be here.
Shouts and yells echoed in the courtyard, and the sound of metal clashing on metal frightened me. What was going on? Slowly, I peered around a hedge and sighed with relief. It was merely the guards training. I walked over and pretended to look shocked. It was not hard.
"What are you doing here?" I asked in bewilderment.
A young guard who I did not know answered. "We could not train in our usual area for reasons that do not concern you. The Pharaoh said we could train here."
I blinked in confusion. "But it is so small compared to your usual area."
Another guard answered. "Yes, but this is where we were give so this is where we shall stay."
I nodded and walked inside. I figured that I should probably find someone to find out how the rebellion went.
"Meritaten?" I asked, knocking at her chambers. There was no reply. I peered in and saw she was not there. Of course. She would be in the large eating hall for tea.
I checked there, and surprisingly, it was empty. And I had not run into anyone - not even servants. Where was everyone? Perhaps I should check in the Grand Chamber.
Still no-one. What was going on? I was starting to run out of places that they might be. The schoolroom? The pool? Smenkhkre's entertainment chamber? The entrance and the courtyard there?
My eyes caught a flicker of a shadow running past. I followed it. "Who is it?" I asked cautiously, running to catch up.
I got no reply. The shadow took human shape, and ran down the corridors, weaving in and out of little passages, all the while with me following.
Suddenly it disappeared. I must have looked away, for it just was not there anymore. As I slowed down, I realised that I did not know where I was. Yes, it was still a palace, but not the one in Ankhetaten. What was going on?
I tried to reason with myself. I was just in a part of the palace that I had never been before. That was all.
Strange statues loomed above me. Statues that were still in the old Egyptian style of sculpting, but were of unusual half-animal half-man creatures holding strange objects, like a feather, or a pen quill, or the crock and flail.
I caught my reflection as I passed a piece of glass on the tiles. I was wearing a headpiece? I did not remember putting one on this morning. Even stranger, these looked like the headpiece that signified the most important position a women can have - Queen of Egypt.
I lifted my hand and sure enough, I could feel a headpiece there. I suppose I must have put it on then. Shrugging at myself, I kept walking and continued to look for everyone.
"Hello?" I shouted. "Where is everyone? Where am I? What is going on? Meritaten? Nebt? Tutankhaten? Sete?"
The only thing that greeted me was dead silence. It was almost as though it were unnatural. Something strange had happened...
Wait. I saw the guards and soldiers training in the gardens. I would just have to return to the gardens, and I could ask them what was going on! Only one problem: which way were the gardens?
I walked down and looked out the closest window. Thankfully, I could tell I was still in Egypt because I could see the Nile, glistening in the morning sunlight.
And then I remembered you could not see the Nile from any window in the palace, because of the positioning of the structure.
I started to panic, but kept concentrating on trying to find the gardens. I kept passing those strange statues and empty, still bedchambers. It was too quite; too eerie. I did not like this.
A huge beam of light up ahead told me an exit out of the palace was near. As I walked closer, I could see it was garden. As I stood in the doorways, I took in the magnificence of it. Beautiful hedges were carved into shapes, and stone pebbles marked little paths. Bouquets of fluorescent flowers overflowed every garden bed, and in the middle of everything was a lovely water fountain and a stone bench. There were statues everywhere, but all of those strange creatures. Nonetheless, it was beautiful, and I wanted to stay here forever.
Until I saw it.
Lying in the centre, face down, were the bodies of everyone in my family. My jaw dropped and I stumbled over, shocked. I gingerly touched the dead corpse of Meritaten. Why was she here? If she died, she should be in preparation for mummification.
My eyesight expanded, and I saw the bodies of everyone. Meritaten, Smenkhkre, mother, Tutankhaten, Neferneferure, Neferneferuaten Tarsherit, and father, Meketaten, and even those who had been gone years before - Setepenre and my stepmother and aunt, Kiya.
Everyone looked as though they had not aged; everyone but Tutankhaten. He looked almost a man. What? That made no sense. I saw him this morning; he was a mere child. What was going on?
Slowly, my brain clicked. Something horrible was wrong. I had been sent all these signs by Aten, and I had ignored them. The Nile, the strange statues, the emptiness...I had to leave. Now. I had to run back into the city and find Huy and Kahmose and escape. I could not stay a moment longer.
I stood and took one last look at the palace. The shadow was back. I stared in shock, but then, at lightening speed, the shadow dashed forth, coming to me, straight for me.
I braced for impact, and ----

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Because it is the weekend, I've been able to give you guys three chapters now. But because I have school for the next five days, I may not be updating as much.

This is completely irrelevant but HOLY BLOODY MOLY I AM SO SUNBURNT!!!! So yesterday and today, I went with my friends to swim in the local river near the main massive shopping centre, even though we could have gone to a proper beach instead of that one. But anyway, we spent a good four hours in the water each day and yesterday I got sorta burnt, more tanned if anything, even though I put on TONS of sunscreen and REAPPLIED CONSTANTLY. But one of my friends got so burnt, he looked like a tomato.
So today, before I went I made sure to put even more sunscreen on and I STILL GOT BURNT EVEN WORSE!!!! I don't even know how! The sun hates me! It hurts to move! But my friend who got it worse than me yesterday - even though he wasted legit a whole bottle of sunscreen and wore a rashie today, he got burnt so badly that his skin actually tore. Not like peeling - worse. Although it was a pretty good friend. I met another friend's friend, and this guy is actually way cool and way hot.

Anyway, sorry, just wanted to rant about that. But yeah. Chapterly question: What do you guys think about Ankhesenpaaten and Kahmose? Do you ship it? I certainly do 😹😹😹😹 oops I think I just gave the next few chapters away! Oh well.