Prologue

I watched on in horror. My body was frozen in stance, like an unknown force was keeping me there, forcing my eyes to watch the scene unfolding before me. It was almost as though time had slowed down. Tutankhaten and I were safe on one chariot, while the Pharaoh and Queen faced sudden death on the other.

The horses reared upwards towards the sky, somehow unhinged themselves and bolted.

The chariot rocked violently, balancing in seemingly mid-air. I could hear my sister's screams echoing around the valley. The crowd was silent, holding their breath. The guards, holding down the person who had thrown the stone, did not take their eyes off the golden chariot. I covered my brother's eyes and held my breath.

Sete tried to run over, but the state of the chariot was too dangerous. It could have fallen on him. I hadn't even realised that he had accompanied us, but of course, Sete would be here. He was always there when we needed him, but I feared even he would not be able to help.

I couldn't imagine what it must've been like in there. Smenkhkre and Meritaten would have been rocked ferociously, being thrown against the walls of the chariot.

The moment passed. The chariot tipped over and rolled over and over in the unforgiving sand. The Queen's screaming ceased abruptly. Soldiers ran to their aid, as soon as it was safe, but even I could tell, before they pulled the mangled bodies of my half-brother and my sister out, that it had been too late.

The Pharaoh, my older brother Smenkhkre, and his Queen, my sister Meritaten, were now dead. As my father would have once said, "They are in the hands of Aten now."