Chapter #29

Chris' Pov

The following day, I tried to keep myself busy; reading, listening to music, and even sleeping. It all turned futile; nothing could make me forget what happened yesterday. If someone looked at me, they'd mistakenly interpret my expression as suppressed grief, but on the inside, a rage had built up that I hardly knew how to contain. 

At the beach I had merely talked to that couple; they had no idea what I was thinking, the pain I would have inflicted with ease. If they had only known, they would have been very afraid. And the thing was, I wasn't an aggressive, confrontational kind of person. If I ever was, I would only be partially serious. It was almost foreign to feel so angry, but that couldn't change anything. 

After a good amount of time had passed and I realized that staying in my room wasn't going to solve anything, I felt my legs get up of their own accord and walk towards Victor's room. It wasn't something I thought about it; I just did it. It was like I subconsciously knew that I needed to see him, talk to him. And even if no words were exchanged, he'd still hear me. Just as I raised my hand to knock on his door, it went flying open with Victor near toppling over me, but I caught him before that could happen.

"Chris..." He had began before stopping. Taking his hand in mine, I pulled him out of the house before he has a chance to object. Quickly pulling on his shoes, I took hold of his hand again and closed the house behind me before getting into an elevator. Realizing how tightly I was holding Victor's arm, I sheepishly released him before we stepped out of the elevator. Glancing over at him in slight embarrassment, Victor just shrugged and opened the door to the co-pilot's seat. Following in suit, I did the same, started the engine and left the loft behind me. After a half an hour of driving, Victor broke the silence.

"Chris, what's going on? I'll admit the drive has been relaxing, but if something's bothering you, you should say something. What is it?" he leveled with me as he took my hand in his own. Pulling up at the side of the road, I took a deep breath before facing him. Having him here with me made everything I had felt less intense, but I still wanted to talk about it.

"I was enraged, Victor. He never deserved that. And even after I followed that couple and gave them a piece of my mind....I still felt so riled up," I lowered my voice as I averted gaze. "I just could never imagine Yuri deserving any kind of mockery. A part of me should feel ashamed for what I wanted to do to them, but I knew you'd understand...."he drifted off as he entwined our fingers together.

"Get out of the car," Victor sighed as he made to do the same. Puzzled, I did as I was told and closed the door behind me. Turning around, Victor now stood in front of me, moving his hands along my arms before pulling into a hug. Inhaling his scent, feeling his warmth all over me; it was like he was waking me up from a bad dream, making me forget it ever happened.

"Spasibo, Chris. You didn't know it, but I was angry too. But for Yuri's sake, I suppressed my emotions in the hopes that Yuri might do the same. To my relief, he wasn't even angry. I don't blame you for feeling the way you did. All the same, all actions have consequences. You understand, don't you?" he asked.

Nodding into his shoulder, he pulled away and placed a delicate kiss on my cheek. Leaning his forehead against mine, with every breath I inhaled I felt all my inner anger burn out of me until I couldn't feel it anymore, all that was left was the warmth that Victor gave me. And I knew he belonged to another, so why did I feel such an earnest longing for him? Rasping softly, I mentally reprimanded myself. Maybe it could've once happened for us, but that was a long time ago. Right now, I was just comforted in being here with him, the way I was with him. 

Raising my hand to hold his cheek, I looked back at the person I knew then, and the person that stood in front of me today, and realized I was wrong; he's changed in the best kind of way. I thought that because he went off and became a coach, that meant that he wasn't free on the ice, living for the moment. Now I see the daylight; this is his metamorphosis. When he breaks out of his chrysalis, he'll be enchanting to all who behold him.

"Victor, Merci Beaucoup."

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~