Heartbreaking News(28)

Daneen

"Abdullah, you have to stay strong, she needs you more than anything at this time of life. Tell her what happened," Rahul jiju says, while rubbing Abdullah jiju's back.

"Abdullah, what's wrong?" didi asks with a frown on her face. Jiju looks at her with red, puffy eyes before sitting beside her and taking hold of her hand.

"Is everything okay? Why do I feel like I'm being stabbed? It hurts a lot." She holds her stomach, then drops his hands and gasps loudly.

"Aminat?" jiju whispers, holding her shoulders up. Didi screams loudly and starts crying suddenly. "Get the car, Sahil," jiju says as he scoops didi up in his arms.

Sahil runs out and jiju goes too. "Call us," mama yells after them. Sahil nods as he drives off after Rahul jiju gets into the car.

4 hours later

Abdullah jiju helps didi into their bed then sits beside her. Didi is just staring with no words. She looks petrified and broken.

"What did the doctor say?" baba asks jiju, who clears his throat. "The poison was close to spreading all over her body organs," jiju starts. "They got it out in time but they couldn't save it," he finishes with a clearing of his throat.

"How could I not know that I was pregnant? That's impossible," didi whispers.

"If you knew, it still wouldn't stop what happened." Jiju sighs tiredly.

"But," didi whispers. "Why? Who would put poison in whatever I ate?" she whispers.

"That's what we should figure out," mama says, then she sits beside didi, who has tears in her eyes.

"Beta, you should take some rest, we'll think of all this tomorrow." She wipes her tears, then kisses her forehead.

"Goodnight, didi, jiju." I kiss didi's cheek and nod at jiju, who nods back.

I get up and look at Sahil, who walks out first and I follow and shut the door.

"Sahil?" I call.

"Yeah?" he replies. I get up and walk to the bathroom to find him washing his face in the sink. He leans against the sink with his head down.

"Sahil, are you okay?" I whisper. When he doesn't reply, I walk over to him and rub his shoulders. "That won't happen to us, Sahil... insha Allah," I say.

His body stiffens instantly. He finally turns around and fear is evident in his face. "We just have to trust in Allah, babe."

"What if something happens and you end up losing our baby?" he whispers, resting his forehead against mine.

"Hey, if Allah wills, our baby will be safe, remember we just have to--"

"Trust in Allah," we whisper. He smiles a little, then hugs me.