Change(7)

Aminat

I get up from bed and head to the bathroom to complete my hygiene. I put on my black abaya and pink hijab then walk out of the bathroom and into my bedroom. I glance at the bed to find Abdullah still asleep. He looks so peaceful, calm, and so innocent that I cannot help but stare a little more. 

I walk down the stairs to find everything really quiet. It is only 7:50 so they must all still be asleep. I walk to the kitchen and start thinking of what to make. I decide to make crispy potatoes and eggs. 

It's really easy and takes only 20 minutes. Abduallah said the family wakes up at 8 sharp and are down by 8:25. 

I grated some potatoes and boil them. Once they were cooked, I deep fry them twice then add some salt and pepper. 

I then heat some oil in a frying pan and spread the sali. I break some eggs on top and then cooked it in a salamander grill for about 3-4 minutes. 

I set the table for all eight of us, making sure to warm some warm milk for Yusuf and Ismaeel. Zara bhabhi had said they only drink milk in the morning. 

After setting the table and placing the meal on the table, I begin cleaning the kitchen. 

"Aminat?" I hear mama call. 

"Asalam Alaykum, mama," I greet her with a smile. 

"Walaykum salam, beta. Did you make these?" she asks.

"Yeah, I hope you don't mind." I start fidgeting with my fingers nervously. What if she doesn't like it. 

"Oh, beta! You are apologizing for cooking? Ya Allah." She starts laughing. I blush and look down. 

"Jazakallah khair, dear." 

"Wa antum fa-jazākumu-llāhu khayran," I reply with a small smile. 

"This smells good, bhabhi." Sahil smiles as he rubs his hands together hungrily. I smile, then they all sit down.

"Sit down, beta," mama says. 

"Abdullah hasn't come yet," I tell her. She doesn't press on but instead just smiles impressively. 

She looks at baba, who also smiles. "I'll serve." I take the bowl from mama. 

"I can do it, dear you've already done so much," she insists. 

"Aren't I like your beta? If so then you can't work while am here, now what kind of daughter would I be?" I raise my eyebrow in a joking manner. 

"Oh, beta." She smiles and kisses my cheeks,  then my forehead. 

"Learn from her, Aisha, Sahil." She smacks the two, who frown and look down. Rahul and baba chuckle then shake their heads. 

"Abdullah, hurry up I'm hungry," Sahil screams while groaning in annoyance. 

"Calm down, hungry hippo." Abdullah sits down beside Aisha. 

"Won't you sit?" He looks up at me. 

"I was just waiting for you," I whisper, then pick up the bowl and serve him. 

I sit down, then close my eyes and say a little prayer thanking Allah for the food I'm about to eat. After about a minute, I open my eyes to find them all staring at me curiously. "Praying," I whisper. 

"Oh," they mumble, but mama and baba just smile. I eat my food slowly while planning Deneen's wedding in my head. 

I'm so happy for my little sister. I can't believe she's getting married.

Zara bhabhi offers to clean up with the help of Aisha. I thank them, then get up and look at Abdullah, who's getting ready to head to work. 

I had packed his, Sahil, Rahul jiju and Baba's lunch already. I hand them their lunch, earning smiles all around. 

"Will you be home early today?" I ask Abdullah in a whisper as he fixes his tie. 

"I don't know, why?" he asks. 

"I'm bored at home." I frown. 

He lets out a chuckle before shaking his head. "I'll try come back early but I can't promise anything... it depends how hectic work is today," he says. 

"Okay, try though and I wanted to talk to you about my studies." 

"What about it?" 

"My residency starts in two weeks and I was thinking can I drive myself to work and back?"

"If you want we can go look for cars tomorrow." 

"Really?" I gasp in shock that he actually agreed and so quickly. 

"Yeah just because we're married doesn't mean that you have to put your life on hold, Aminat." He lets out another chuckle. 

I smile and nod. "Drive safe," I tell him as he picks up his car keys. He throws me a smile, then stares at me for a while. 

I smile and wave at him as he finally walked out to his car with the rest. Sahil gets in his car with him. 

"Hey, bhabhi, he's coming back you know, don't miss him too much. He's not running away," Aisha says, which causes me to blush some more. 

What is it with him and his family embarrassing me. I feel like I fit in with his family though even though this is only my second day living here. They treat me like their own.

Abdullah has really changed. He doesn't just come back from work and go to sleep. He actually talks to me about his day and my day, then we fall asleep with me in his arms. 

I love this new him.