Good News?(20)

Aminat

I wait patiently in the parking lot of the hospital, where I'm doing my residency for Abdullah, who said he'd be here in five minutes. 

My phone beeps notifying me of a new message. 
I look at it and Abdullah's name flashes up. "Look in front of you."

I look up and find his car right in front of me. He smiles and waves, making me smile. I wave back, then walk to the passenger's side and get in. 

"How was work?" we both ask then laugh at each other. 

"Good, and yours?" he asks me as he drives out of the parking lot. 

"Interesting. I tried to gather everything that I needed to know, but it's quite stressful when they've all been there before I started." 

"Well, you can study more at home anyway, Rahul bhai can help you as he's a doctor, he'd know everything you need to know," he suggests. 

"That'd be great, I'm so tired, I just want to go to bed." I yawn and lean against the seat. 

"I hope your work won't be taking up all your time," he says, glancing at me with a smile. I chuckle, then hold his spare hand. 

"What?" he asks. 

"Nothing just felt like it." I shrug. He just chuckles as he parks the car.

"I have something to show you," he whispers in my ear. 

"Really? What is it?" I ask, looking at him with excitement.

"It's a surprise."

"I don't like surprises, Abdullah." I groan, but he just laughs, then pecks my lips. A gasp escapes my lips and my face heats up and I suddenly feel shy around him. 

"Come on." He chuckles and opens the door.

As soon as we enter our home, all I hear is mama yelling at Daneen, who has tears down her face. 

"Ummi?" Abdullah whispers. 

"Daneen." 

We both rush inside only to find Rahul jiju, Zara bhabhi, Aisha, the kids, baba, Daneen, and Sahil all in the living room.

"All I said was I wanted to and Sahil himself agreed." Daneen cries harder. 

"And when I say no, then I mean no. Sahil talk to your wife," mama yells, then looks away angrily. 

"Ummi, what's wrong?" Abdullah asks. 

"She nearly fell down the stairs today while cleaning the kitchen, how's she supposed to work if that happens at home?" mama says. I look at Daneen, who's staring at the floor, then at mama.

"Daneen," I whisper. 

"Didi, I didn't mean to, I swear but she's--" 

"Hey, sweety, I know, I know." I wipe away her tears. "She's worried about you and your unborn child, this is her grand baby growing inside you. Daneen, please understand it's only until after the baby."

"Didi, you too?"

"Daneen."

She wipes her tears, then shakes her head  and runs up the stairs. "Daneen, be careful, please," I yell. She slams the door.

"Mama, don't mind her, she's just emotional. I'll convince her, please don't be upset with her." I wipe mama's tears. 

"I didn't want to yell at her, beta. I am sorry, Sahil," she whispers. 

"Ummi." He groans and sits beside her. "Why are you saying sorry? You are acting as if you don't have the right to talk to her at all," he says, pinching her cheeks softly.