Two (Becoming One With Him)

(Recap)

"Do I even want to know?" Nina asked.

"Nina, baby, it's positive."

(Begin chapter)

Nina looked at Benny, eyes wide. She grabbed the test from him and stared at the pink plus sign. "Benny, what do we do now?" She asked, tears in her eyes.

"I...I don't know." Benny said, sitting on the bathroom floor, expecting Nina to do the same. But she didn't. She threw the test into the trash, brushed off her hands and looked Benny in the eye.

"I have to go." She said, running out of his apartment. Her fast actions didn't give Benny much time to react, but eventually he did. Nina took the elevator, so Benny, being quite fast, took the stairs. Luckily, he was only on the second floor.

Quickly making his way to the lobby, he saw Nina running out of the building. "Nina! Wait!" He shouted after her.

Nina heard him, but didn't stop. She didn't know where she was going but didn't stop. Benny caught up to her, grabbing her arm. "Let go Benny." She demanded. Benny, shocked, tightened his grip. "Benny, let go! Please let go..." she whimpered, repeating the words again and again. Benny, realizing he was hurting her, let go.

"I'm sorry Nina." Benny said, going to hug her. Nina stepped back, shaken up slightly. "Nina, I didn't mean to hurt you. I'm sorry baby girl." He tried to hug her again but Nina stepped back again.

"I...I need to go." Nina said, turning and running again.

"Nina!" Benny couldn't bring himself to chase her. He wanted to, but he couldn't. "Nina!"

Benny fell to the ground, crying.

Up ahead, Nina stopped running. She had heard the pained sound in Benny's voice. It hurt her more than his tight grip on her arm. She turned and ran back to Benny who still sat on the ground.

The 24 year old man couldn't understand why his girlfriend came back. But she had. "Nina?" He asked, his vision blurry due to tears.

Nina didn't answer but wrapped her arms around him and kissed his lips gently. Benny's heart raced at the gentle kiss. It was so loving and sweet. Her lips tasted like her apricot chapstick. Benny kissed back, one hand going to Nina's lower back and the other to the back of her head. Both Nina's were at his shoulders. It was a sight, the two kissing and crying as the sun began to set.

"I love you so much Benny." Nina said when they broke apart.

"I love you too Nina." Benny whispered. "I'm so sorry baby girl. I didn't mean to hurt you. I'm so sorry."

"All is forgiven."

"No more running away, please?" Benny asked.

"Okay." Her tone said what she didn't. It said 'No promises'. That broke Benny. Tore him apart. He cried harder, holding Nina closer to him. Nina didn't know what to do. So she kissed him again. Benny was too distraught to kiss back which broke Nina.

They sat on the sidewalk, crying. And they stayed there for an hour or two.

~~~

Finally the two calmed and Benny carried Nina to his apartment. He tossed her a tee shirt of his. It was light blue, with the sleeves cut off and New York written on the chest. Nina changed, mentally and physically tired.

Neither had really eaten since only a few bites of ramen caused Nina to puke. So Nina walked into the kitchen, looking for something to eat. "What do you need baby girl?" Benny asked her, wrapping his arms around her middle.

"I could really use something to eat." She said. Benny nodded.

"How about some peanut butter toast?"

Nina nodded, sitting at the counter, watching Benny put two slices of bread in the toaster. Then, he put two more. Once the toast popped Benny put peanut butter on it and handed two slices to Nina and took two for himself. Nina then found a banana and sliced it to make a toasted peanut butter and banana sandwich. Benny chuckled, watching Nina eat her sandwich.

"Do you want milk Nina?" Benny asked and when she nodded, he poured her a glass along with one for himself. Nina took a sip of the cold liquid and shivered.

When they finished eating, Nina asked a tough question. "Benny, how do we tell my parents?"

"I guess we just be honest."

"What time is it?"

"I think it's 7:00 here." Benny said. He looked at his clock. "Nope, it's six."

"Okay. Mami and Papi should still be awake." Nina said, picking up her phone.

FaceTiming her parents, Nina squeezed Benny's hand tightly in hers. And when her mother's face popped up on the screen, Nina nearly fainted.

"Mija!" Camila said, a smile on her face.

"Hi Mami. Como estás?"

"Muy buen. Y tú?"

"Muy buen." Nina took a deep breath. "Is Papi home?"

"Yes. Kevin! Come say hello to your daughter!" Camila shouted.

"I'm coming Cami!" Soon Nina saw her father. "Oh mija! How are you?"

"Good." Nina said.

"What's going on? You wouldn't have chose to talk with video if it wasn't important." Camila said.

"Well, I got my scholarship back. A full scholarship! I'm going to Stanford with no worry of fees!" Nina exclaimed.

"That's great!" Kevin said, wishing he could reach through the phone and hug his daughter.

"But there's also something else..." Nina said, adjusting the phone so they could see Benny too.

"Well, go on." Camila said. "And hi Benny."

Benny waved before Nina continued. "I'm pregnant."

"YOU'RE WHAT?!" Kevin screamed. Nina shook.

"I'm pregnant. Please don't be mad Papi. We didn't plan it."

"DON'T BE MAD?! DON'T BE MAD?! I AM FUCKING MAD NINA! YOU GOT YOURSELF KNOCKED UP!"

"What do you want me to do? Huh? What?" Nina said, becoming angry herself.

"I want you to abort the child as soon as possible." And then, they were gone.

***Author's Note***

Word count: 987

Be fearless!

Xo,
Ryeli