T w e n t y N i n e P. 1

Start from the beginning

"Bet" I say, but I think we both know I'd just wake up for the show and return back to bed. My phone rings moments after and I hesitate when a familiar area code lights up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Anya?" This time I sit up in bed and clear my throat my hand clutching at my throat. Was it hot in here?

"Anya?" The voice asks again and I blink several times before responding.

" Mom?" The woman on the other end clears her throat.

"I- I hope you don't mind I've called. I know you're in LA I've seen you on tv"

"What?" She chuckles.

"E! News, the tabloids. You're always with that boy" I bite my lip. If she'd seen the news she'd obviously seen my past profession.

"Yeah. Justin. He's amazing" I say and she sighs.

"I'm not going to pry. I know you never liked that. I just need a favor"

"What is it?" I was apprehensive. I'd tried to send them money before only to have it returned immediately. They'd never needed my help.

"It's Elise. She's got a full ride to UCLA and I'd really appreciate it if she could stay with you for awhile before she goes there. Just so she could get a feel for it" my heart clenches just thinking about my little sister. She was always so smart. I'd never had a chance at going to half of the schools she'd dreamed of going to. I wasn't stupid by any means, I just had a different agenda.

"I'll have to ask Justin if it's okay with him" in the back of my mind I knew it would be. He was so giving.

"You don't have your own place?" My mother asks and I have to clench my fist to beat the eye rolling urge.

"No we're pretty serious Mom."

"I told you never to let a man have that much power over you" I shake my head.

"It's not like that with Justin." She scoffs. And I finally roll my eyes.

"Listen. Tell Elise to call me and I'll see what I can set up" my mother sighs for what seems like the tenth time before speaking again.

"I'm trusting you with her Anya. She's going to be something" her words cut through me like a knife, but I don't have a chance to defend myself once the line goes dead.

"So am I️" I whisper to the dial tone, but it really wouldn't have mattered had I actually said it to her. I fan my eyes to make sure no tears escape. I wasn't a weak bitch. I was a strong one and I'd be damned if my mother's judgements of my lifestyle and relationships rocked that.

"Mothers." I look up to see Selena standing in the doorway.

"You heard that huh?" She comes into Justin's room and sits on the bed before shaking her head.

"Not if you didn't want me to" I laugh and blink a few more times to make sure that I wasn't going to cry.

"No it's fine... are you heading out?" I peer behind her to see a luggage and a large bag plopped on the ground.

"Yeah, Kylie was kind enough to bring me some luggage so I could head on to my moms place. I called her yesterday. She's uhhh... she's pissed"

"You told her everything?"

"All of it. She's going to go to the police if I don't so there's that"

"maybe it's for the best. Dante can finally come to justice" Selena snorts.

"Are you Batman? Nah, there's a reason he hasn't been behind bars a long time ago for a reason. He's got people everywhere" we sit in silence for a few moments before Selena, suddenly chipped nudges my shoulder.

"Show me a picture of your sister. Elizabeth right?"

"Elise." I correct, but at this point I'm already scrolling through my camera roll to retrieve a picture.

" I correct, but at this point I'm already scrolling through my camera roll to retrieve a picture

I find the image and hand my phone to Selena who's jaw drops.

"She's a mini you!" She says pointedly and I nod. I'd heard it many times before.

"Yeah this was a few days before I left for New York." Selena I've learned is very perceptive to the emotions of those around as she wraps an arm around my shoulder.

"Did she know you were going to New York? That you were leaving?" We both jump a little when the phone rings and the screen reads ' Elise'.

"I didn't even say goodbye" I whisper and finally a tear races down my cheek. Selena pats my leg and I hold the phone to my ear.

"Hey Elise."