Chapter 9: Sparring

Brogen woke everyone up early as the sun just started to crack over the horizon.

        “Now that I have TWO full fledged summoners on my property, I have to make sure that you two stay in peak fighting condition. Since both of you are relatively new to the experience I need to be confident that you two will be able to handle yourselves if any of us becomes separated and finds ourselves in a situation. I want you to remember that there are summoners out there that can even easily surpass me in swordsmanship, you need to keep a careful eye out.”

        Brogen gave them this lecture as they all sat at the massive dining table eating their breakfast.

        “But… things can’t always be so serious. We are still people after all, so let’s not look so somber shall we?” He said as he started to dig into his breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast, and potatoes.

        “I agree!” Fiera said picking up her fork. “Hey… where did my eggs go?”

        Zarahie’s giggling could be heard as she bounded quickly down the length of the table.

        Crowe laughed heartily as he himself picked up his fork.

        “Wait… didn’t I get bacon?” he asked.

        Sorzoran’s booming laugh echoed throughout their minds.

        “How did you do that without me seeing?!”

        Dragon’s have their ways, and we’ll just leave it at that. The beast chuckled; but Crowe was positive he saw him wink at the tiny fire fox out of the corner of his eye.

        They all ate a very lighthearted breakfast before proceeding outside into the training ring.

        “Fiera, Crowe, I want you two to go first, let’s see how summoner fares against summoner now.”

        Fiera and Crowe nodded and squared off across from each other. Fiera with almost one wave of her hand it seemed like stripped herself of her hoodie and baggy sweatpants revealing a light and flowy, red long skirt that rested firmly on her hips. Her stomach shown fully and the only piece of armor she had on her upper body was a battle brassier, also red. A long golden gauntlet came up the length of her arm to her elbow, spikes jutting out the side. Flames erupted on her hands, dissipating to reveal smaller golden gauntlets with claws that extended from her finger tips.

        She shifted into an offensive stance with her fingers extended and curled, “I’m not going to go easy on you.”

        Crowe whirled his hands around. The twin blade traced a dark circle as the shadowy aura formed and dissipated as he whirled it around his back in his offensive stance. “Good,” was all he said as he started to circle around the ring.

        Fiera matched him step for step, sizing him up. He’d been training almost non-stop for almost a week, she would not underestimate him even with such a short amount of time.

        Crowe spun the blade around quickly, bringing it down next to Fiera with a clash against the dirt. Immediately after the impact he spun around, the blade spinning around his body as he slashed horizontally at her.

        Holding her hands out she allowed the blade to collide against the metal gauntlet, wrapping her fingers around the flat blade she used her left arm to slash at Crowe. Quickly he lifted and twisted the blade in his arm and shifted to the other side and with a quick jerk he reset his arm to its normal position, simultaneously sliding the blade through Fiera’s fingers. Sparks flew as the sword dislodged from her hand.