Chapter 26: Brogen vs. Yoric

"Ready Aiden?" Brogen asked his partner as the mercenary stepped out of the green circle.

        "Ready," he replied as his gigantic claymore appeared in his hands.        

        "Ah, a fellow knight," Yoric said as he drew a black sword from his shield. 

        A black summoning circle appeared next to him and a figure clad all in black armor stepped out and drew an exact copy of Yoric's sword from his shield scabbard.

        "The Black Knight?" Crowe asked Alira who nodded meakly in return. "The literal knight from history that couldn't be bested?" Another nod answered his second question. "Oh boy..."

        "This should be easy, you're summon isn't even fully ranked," Yoric smirked.

        "I don't think that'll make much of a difference," Brogen said as he popped his neck, his claymore appearing in his right hand. "I've been in numerous arena battles, won most of them, became arena champion on a few occasions. I think I have the experience to hold my own against you, even if you do have the Black Knight. And even if I can't, what kind of man am I if I don't even try to defend my own family?"

        At that moment, a flurry of vines rushed from the ground and covered Aiden in a green coccoon. The plants molded to his body for a moment before exploding out in a burst of leaves and thorns.

        Aiden and Brogen's sword had changed and become much more ornate, the same green orb that decorated Aiden's chest armor now lay in the hilt of the massive sword and two green metallic vines traveled down the length of the silver blade. 

        Aiden's armor remained mostly the same but the tree became more pronounced and more green metallic vines wrapped around the silver sheen. A green headband with silver strips wrapped around his head now.

        Brogen brought his left hand up and clenched his fist, creating a forest of vines around him that wrapped around his body. The vines retracted and the exact armor that Aiden wore now covered Brogen's body.

        "I believe that makes us even," Brogen said with a grin. "After all these years... I finally found my drive," He turned his gaze towards Alira. "Thank you."

        "Well if we're going to have a battle like this then I'd rather not damage the interior of the castle as much as possible, mind if we move outside?" Yoric commented before attacking.

        "I'd prefer it actually," Brogen replied.

        They went through a door to the side of the ballroom which led them almost directly out into the courtyard. 

        Sorzoran had to be dismissed but once outside in the air he immediately resummoned himself, Zarahie and Demeter leapt onto his back in order to see the battle clearly, Zarahie laying over his head like she used to when she was smaller. 

        Once in the open air Yoric and Brogen faced each other, Oswin in the center of the field between them.

        "I shall oversee this formal match which shall dictate the future ruler of The Elerian Island. The defender, Yoric Elerian, is challenged by Alira Elerian by means of champion, er... What's your name young man?"

        "Brogen Govannon,"

        "Brogen Govannon! The winner, shall rule indefinitely. May luck favor both of you. You may begin," The butler moved out of the way quickly.

        Yoric held his shield up and his blade raised in an offensive stance and the Black Knight did the same as they began to circle the two gladiators.