Chapter 32: Hayato vs. Xuanzang

"I feel kinda weird..." Crowe said as he watched Hayato and Xuanzang rush towards each other.

        "That's something like your sixth sense," Brogen answered for him, "Something you figure out as you grow and learn. Right now, you're getting the feeling from two powerful entities about to clash."

        "That's unnerving."

        "That's instinct."

        Hayato closed the distance quicker than Xuanzang and his fist collided into Xuanzang's palm.

        Sorzoran covered Crowe with his wings to shelter him from the incoming shockwave. The dragon lowered his wing, letting Crowe see what was going on in the battle.

        Hayato's fists were a blur as he attacked Xuanzang with a barrage of punches and kicks. Xuanzang, with a calm smile, focused strictly on deflecting the attacks; he didn't even attempt to punch back. 

        Right jab, right jab, left kick, left jab. Xuanzang's incredible reflexes kept him from getting hit. 

        Hayato leapt back to regain his footing and take a breath. He hadn't had competition like this in a long time. With a calming breath he sized up the monk and began circling, Xuanzang mimicking his steps. Their hands extended slightly in front of them in anticipation for each other's move. 

        Crowe blinked and Hayato was next to Xuanzang. The monk didn't even have time to react as he found Hayato's fist in his side.

        The monk was quick to react, however, and anticipated Hayato's next attack. 

        In Hayato's vision he could see everything clearly. Everything was moving slower to him. He couldn't keep up this ability for long and only for short spurts at a time else he risk exhausting his energy. 

        After the first strike Hayato reverted to his normal speed, allowing Xuanzang to interpret his next attack. A surge of power once again sped Hayato up and he reacted opposite, sending a strike below Xuanzang's hand that struck his lower torso.

        The force caused the monk to stumble back but he learned quick.

        "You have progressed Hayato, very impressive..."

        Hayato had reverted back to normal speed and was once again circling the monk. He had enough energy to safely use that ability another eight or nine times so he planned accordingly. Xuanzang merely smiled as he circled his opponent.

        Raijin and Sun Wukong faced each other at the same time. Raijin had the most serious face that Crowe had seen him use so far. Sun was smiling as he leaned back on his staff, which was stuck in the ground, with his arms crossed.

        Raijin moved first, taking a ginger step towards the monkey king to test him.

        Sun pulled the staff out of the ground with his tail and spun it around into his hands where he held it like a billiard cue.

        With a grin he thrust it forward towards Raijin, extending it as he did so.

        Raijin moved to the side with each thrust, barely dodging the pole by mere inches.

        The monkey king laughed before grabbing his staff fully and giving it a spin around his head, extending it  to attack Raijin.

        The thunder god ducked, allowing the staff to fly over head but Sun spun it around continuously and, by shortening and reextending, swung it just above the ground. Raijin leapt up and avoided the second attack and charged up a bolt of electricity around his arm.