Chapter 3: Sorzoran

Crowe made the trip back to his apartment in record time. Once inside he removed his new coat and set it to the side. Now in the light, he lifted his left arm and examined the mark that had appeared. It was jet black, but on closer inspection he could see the details of the scales and the outline of the appendages on the wings. The horns upon the head were white as ivory and what could be seen of the eyes revealed them to be amber and red. The ridge that ran along the dragon’s back also ran red.

        “This… is happening… It’s really happening…” Crowe said outloud to himself. “Now how does this work…”

        Crowe closed his eyes and cleared his mind again. Deep inside, he found yet another, new, and even more powerful feeling. He reached out towards it and found his arm involuntarily raising with it. His left arm stretched out and the mark started to glow faintly. A circle similar to the one he witnessed form on the wall started to appear in thin air, except this one was lit by dark light, the same blue, black, and purple that appeared when he summoned his weapon. The space within the circles turned black and the last of the runes formed.

        A black, clawed foot slowly pierced the veil and found the floor of the apartment. The fingers gripped the ground in a step as the snout of a large jet black lizard slowly emerged. Each step revealed a graceful black dragon the size of a horse. There were no horns on its head nor wings on its back, but the crimson, red ridge trailed from the top of its head to the tip of its tail. Its ears were like small red fins that rose from the tip of its head.

        Slowly it opened its eyes. Amber and red faded together around the slit of a pupil. It looked at Crowe unmoving as it sat down on its hind legs, its long tail slowly twitching about.

        The summoning circle disappeared as Crowe lowered his arm. All he could do was stare in awe at the magnificent beast that now sat in his living room.

        “Good… sit…” Crowe said hesitantly.

        I am not a dog. Crowe heard in his head.

        “HOLY SHIT YOU CAN TALK!” Crowe exclaimed outloud.

        Of course I can. I’m from another world, and furthermore I’m a dragon. But alas, I must apologize for I am the one who chose you with the full knowledge that you knew nothing about my realm nor your world’s rules or regulations or even basic information regarding my world’s inhabitants. However, I am in the same position as you for I have been removed from your world for a long time and I am unaware of your time’s customs and habits. Also, I’ve been waiting a long time to meet someone like you, Crowe.

        “How do you know my name? and what do you mean someone like me? Why did you choose me? How did you know to choose me?”

        One question at a time. First things first. I can watch into your world at anytime and I can watch any person I wish. However… it’s not so much as watching as we see, it’s more like the aura and personality that we are able to perceive. That’s why I chose you. This city is filled with so much darkness, so many bland, or evil spirits… your spirit, however… shines rather intently, even in a placed filled with so much malicious intent. I assure you, I am just as curious about you as you are about me. As for your name, it’s just something that came to me. That’s how I knew to choose you, after such a long time… When one from my realm learns a name, that means that the time for a choice is close at hand.

        “They said you haven’t chosen anybody for a long time, why?”

        My former summoner disrespected his title and role. The dragon leaned forward and bared its teeth, a deep, rumbling growl formed in its throat. Don’t make his mistake.

        “What did he do?”

        That, I will tell you when the time is right. For now, let’s just work on getting to know one another.

        “That sounds like a decent plan to start with. How about a formal introduction? I am Crowe Umbrea.”

        I am Sorzoran, The Shadow Dragon. Pleasure to meet you.

        “Likewise… So… what now?”

        I don’t know, like I said, it’s been a long time since I’ve been in your world, I’m entrusting you with my upbringing.

        “You sound much older than you look… Why is that?”

        Though I look young in your world, I am among the oldest of beings in mine. The magic between our worlds has waned considerably, so my body must age and develop again in yours to, eventually, my former power. All creatures from my realm must do so now.

        “That makes sense I suppose. And how do we do that per se?”

        The easiest way is to fight other creatures from my realm, it’s become something of a sport between summoners now. Fulfilling missions that the hub sends out will also aid in our growth.

        “This is a lot to take in such a little amount of time… But… at the very least it seems easy enough… So, Sorzoran? Do you sleep? And eat?”

        But of course! I am actually rather tired at the moment though, surprisingly, traveling through the rift seems to have taken a toll on my now younger physique. Do you have anything to eat?

        “I have a few leftovers from the other night… but I’m not sure if you’ll enjoy them.”

        Anything helps.

        Crowe gave a shrug and a nod and fetched some leftover steak and potatoes from the refrigerator. He set them down in front of Sorzoran who promptly, and quickly, gobbled down the food.

        “You’re not going to eat me… right?” Crowe asked sarcastically.

        As long as you don’t get on my bad side.

        “Great… a wisecracking dragon…”

        Just because I’m a dragon doesn’t mean I can’t have a sense of humor.

        “Well, you have a point there… So what else can you do besides make smart comments?”

        Sorzoran gave what Crowe assumed to be a smirk as smoke poured from his nostrils. A deep intake of breath and Sorzoran’s throat began to glow. A small roar erupted from the dragon as fire poured from his gaping maw. As quickly as the fire appeared it retreated, leaving nothing but a trail of smoke where it once blazed.

        “ARE YOU TRYING TO BURN THE BUILDING DOWN?”

        You asked.

        “A simple explanation would have sufficed…”

        But would it have been as fun?

        “True as that may be… I can’t afford to have you burn this place down. Is there anything else you can do that I should worry about?”

        At the moment… no. I do have a myriad of latent magical abilities that I am sure will develop as I grow again, but for the moment, I’m afraid all I can do is breath fire and have but a miniscule amount of control over darkness and shadows.

        “Well at least you have claws and teeth to fight with as well. By the way… watch those things will ya? I don’t need three inch gouge marks in the floor…”

        I’ll do my best.

        “I think I need to get to bed… my head’s starting to hurt…”

        Fair enough, I too shall sleep for the rest of the night.

        Crowe watched as the dragon yawned, revealing all of his razor sharp teeth, before curling up on the floor of his living room. Scratching and shaking his head he proceeded into his bedroom and laid down, letting the events of the night finally sink in.