Chapter 32-Teren's Letter

Day 5 on the Island

Written by Teren Fox

I fear that I don't have much time left. After all, we are constantly in danger here. It's a bit scary to think about all the time so I guess everyone chosen to ignore it. Living in innocence is better than living in fear. I understand that now. Maybe the brave are foolish, I don't know anymore. Lukas wanted to be brave. He wanted to save Sarah. But he failed, and died in the process.

I guess we never really think about what goes through a hero's mind in their last moments. Do they regret what they have done? Do they stand by their belief? I guess we'll never truly know since they're dead now. Everyone dies at some point right? It's natural for that to happen. But it hurts. Because they leave us behind. They move onto to the next phase while we are stuck wondering if they made it to Heaven.

Maybe more people go to Heaven than we think. Maybe Jesus comes to them in the last moments, forgiving them of all their sins no matter what. If they choose to accept it if the question. I think most people would, at least I hope. I don't want to think about if they don't. It's probably better to live your life believing in God, but I guess some people don't want that. Maybe they don't understand. Maybe they're angry.

I'm not angry. I understand why people die. Earth is just temporary after all. Soon I'll get eternal life because I was faithful till the end. God is watching over us, I hope he is. I don't want to think he's not. I never really thought of God before this, before I realized my life was cut short. Ever since I realized the cut was too deep.

It shouldn't still be bleeding. It should be scabbing like Thalia's wound. It should be healed from the water I poured on it earlier. The healing properties of the chemicals obviously are effective since it healed my voice. I hope I get to keep my voice after this. I hope the chemicals healed it completely and won't need to stay in my system. I wonder if Levi's arm could grow back with enough of the water. But then we'd suffer the price of the chemicals. The physical mutations that come with it.

I've been scared that I would gain these mutations. Since I got attacked in the forest and my voice restored, I tried to heal my stomach wound with river water after we found Leigh, Levi's mom. But now I'm not too sure. The cut should be healed by now. Everyone else's injuries are going away, why aren't mine? Jenny's bruises are fading faster, Ayden's wrist is almost completely healed, even Levi's back is a lot better. But why not my stomach?

Maybe because the cut was too deep. Maybe because I was supposed to die on the first day. Maybe I was supposed to die of internal bleeding from the very beginning. It was miracle I survived. But maybe a curse to keep me alive for this long. It gave me hope of a new life. My parents could finally hear my voice again, after all this time of being silent. The world could hear my voice for the first time.

I could sing like my parents, act like my parents in movies, and finally say what I need to say. So many possibilities opened up to me when my voice was restored. But now I'm just going to die days later, never to leave the island. I'm scared the chemicals won't be enough and won't last for much longer. I'm going to die. I can feel it. If we don't get rescued soon, I'm going to die.

It's a horrible reality that I don't want to face. I want to go back to L.A and see my parents again. I want to go back and be able to speak again. I want to go back and try to live a normal life, forgetting that I ever crashed on an island. I want to get married one day and have kids, then tell them about my time on the island. Wouldn't that be something? I could even tell my grandkids the stories as they lay in bed. The good parts I mean.

Tell them about how Ayden the jerk turned out to be a nice guy. Tell them of the brave adventures of Sammy and how he battled a shark and we ate it for dinner. Tell them how we all got drunk on our first night. Tell them about Elliot's strength and that even though he was little, he was stronger than all of us. Of Levi's leadership, Jenny's kindness, Sarah's sass, Oliver's playfulness, all of them.