Chapter 22-Go Find Water

"STUPID SHELTER!!" Ayden screams and kicks the fallen branch hard enough to send it flying.

"Hey watch it!" Sammy growls, his shoulder rising and his hands frozen in tight fists.

"Guys just calm down!" Bree shouts putting her arms out with a pleading look.

"This is impossible! We have the plane! We don't need a stupid shelter!" Ayden yells frustratedly, turning to me sharply.

"Alright you need to calm down," Teren steps in shooting Ayden a warning look.

"Why?! No one's going to stop me!" Ayden taunts loudly, crossing his arms.

"We should have left under the wing of the plane," Sammy mumbles under his breath, turning away from the group.

I rub my tired eyes and sigh loudly, "Stop picking fights," I groan loudly, extremely annoyed with Ayden. And I agree with Sammy. Maybe if we left him under there for a while longer, he may have changed out of spite for survival. The idiot deserves to be half paralyzed. This is what I get for playing hero I guess. I never wanted to so really this isn't my fault. Entirely.

I've been trying to push away blame recently. It's not all my fault, other people have a hand in things too. This way, I won't break down and constantly feel guilty if something goes wrong. But somehow I find another way to blame it all on me. Ayden is being mean because I'm leader. I could have just said no.

"Look we're all stressed out," Shane puts in as he picks up a long vine off the sandy ground, "it's hot and we're all tired. Just calm down."

Shane should be leader, he's a nice guy.

"Yeah," Bree agrees shooting a look at Ayden again.

Ayden scoffs loudly rolling his eyes. I fight the urge to attack him, even though he completely deserves it. He was fine yesterday but now he just snapped back to the jerk we all know and hate. I have to constantly remind myself that he is a human being and I'm a human being. And human beings aren't savage animals. But the fact there are no adults keeps coming up. No one is here to stop me. I feel a darker side of me creeping up and slowly casting shadows on my conscious. I have urges to attack Ayden. I have thoughts of hiding food for myself. Sometimes I even see them as my enemies.

It's scaring me. And I hope we get rescued soon. They should be here by now, at least coming. Today could be our last day on the island, I remind myself. But then the fact that I saw my mom... but I've been seriously doubting it. I was drunk and I think Teren was dreaming. We both know what Mom looks like and it would make sense if he were dreaming that he saw that. Maybe he had a couple drinks too.

But it doesn't make any sense. He wouldn't run into the jungle unless he had too. Maybe it was a vivid dream? I don't know anymore. The grief is coming back now reminding me that my father is waiting in London for me. Then I'll live with him for the rest of my life. That monster of a father. But I have to respect him. Mom loved him for a reason. He actually was her "knight in shining armor" when they first met.

She told me that she had a boyfriend that was extremely abusive. She was desperate to escape his clutches. Mom caught his evil eye and she was too young to understand fully. She was just out of high school too, young and innocent. He had a ton of money too. She thought it was a dream, until it turned into a nightmare. Soon she met Dad and he realized what she was going through.

The boyfriend broke up with her and that jerk got a restraining order. For absolutely no reason. Dad took her in and Mom fell for him. She found a safe place to stay and later they had me. But Dad turned bad too. But Mom stayed. She would have nothing if she left. Since Dad was also rich, she never had to work. She never even went to college.