Chapter 13-The Storm

Thunder. It's how it started. As loud as a freight train. Rumbling loudly, nearly shaking the very ground. Sudden. Terrifying. Because not only was it the volume of the thunder, it was also the sound of the exploding engines of the plane. It threw everyone back into the terrifying memory. Falling through the sky, our lives crumbling to pieces in front of us. 

I jumped and lifted my head to stare up at the sky with wide eyes. My hands clenched into tight fists and my heart races in my chest. I hear Elliot cry out and burst into tears, rushing over to me. He grabs my waist and holds on as tight as possible, burying his head into my stomach. I feel his wet tears and his sobs are muffled. Jenny is under Sammy's protective arm and pulled close. 

Everyone else stares up at the sky with fearful expressions. I take a deep breath scanning the bright blue sky. There isn't a single cloud in the sky, where is the thunder coming from? Is it even thunder? 

"What was that?" Sarah asks confusedly, she squints up at the sky shielding her eyes from the burning sun. I shake my head breathing hard from exhaustion and exercise. My hair clings to the side of my face, completely drenched in salty sweat. I wrap my arms around Elliot hugging him and letting him hold onto me.

"That sounded like thunder," Shane points out, staring up at the sky. 

"The sky is completely clear," Ayden argues gesturing sharply to the empty sky. Oliver looks around and steps out of the thick treeline where we are. He walks out onto the beach and stares up at the sky, spinning around in a circle slowly trying to see the sky better. 

"Then what els-"

"GUYS," Oliver says loudly pointing towards us but at the sky, his eyes are huge, "I think the sky isn't clear anymore."

Everyone stares at him for a moment with fearful eyes. I slowly coax Elliot to loosen his grip and walk with me. I walk out onto the sand and turn around the face the jungle. I look up at the sky where Oliver is pointing. My eyes widen in horror. SHOOT. Everyone moves from the treeline and comes out onto the open beach and looks back. I hear Ayden curse under his breath when he sees it. 

There, looming over the jungle is the biggest, most scary storm I've ever seen. Thick, dark clouds move in silently. The dark clouds rolling over each other creating giant puffs of cloud. Shadows are cast over the rest of the sky as the storm moves in. There's a slight breeze but it's hot which doesn't help anyone. It's moving pretty fast and has almost reached us. I swallow dryly staring at the giant storm. Then I see a bolt of lightning flash through the clouds, lighting up the storm clouds.

Thunder explodes through the sky again making me jump. Elliot cries out again and clamps onto me again. I rub his back reassuring him it'll be okay. "It's just a storm Ellie," I mumble to him, "it's okay."

But he continues to cry into my side.

"What are we going to do?" Jenny asks me with wide eyes. I continue to watch the incoming storm, unsure what we really can do. It's a storm, there's no stopping it. Where do we go? The jungle? We can go into the plane because that's metal and will attract lightning... what about my arm? Will I attract lightning? Oh.

"I'm not sure... I think we need shelter because of the lightning. It looks like a tropical storm or something," I answer slowly, glancing over at her.

"Okay so we hide in the treeline?" Lukas asks running a hand through his black hair, making it stick up. I nod, "Yeah."

"We should gather some of the supplies, we don't want it to wash away or get wet," Thalia pipes up meeting my gaze. I nod at her too feeling a little weight taken off my shoulders. Finally, everyone else is starting to take some responsibility.