Chapter 31-Thalia's Secret

I stick my spread hands deep into the moist sand feeling the gritty pieces brush against my skin. I smile softly and continue to shove my hand deeper into the sand. The ocean breeze is gentle again which gives me peace. Images of the violent storm run through my head like a broken film projector. Running through the jungle at full speed, terrified of what we used to admire from afar. The ocean is attacking.

The breeze turns colder sending chills up my bare arms. I shudder and glance up at the endless ocean. The turquoise blues sparkle from the blinding sun almost looking like jewels. I laugh a little at the thought of jewels, remembering how I used to love shiny things. I would be mesmerized for hours by it, it would keep me quiet and distracted for the time being. Normally my parents would use it during doctor appointments.

I remember through my hazy memories, shiny objects like coins or toys flashing before my eyes in the light causing an endless daze. I quickly touch my face shuddering a little remembering every detail. The drool dripping down my chin, the awkward angle my head was in, the constant twitch of my fingers-, I shake my head and run my hand along my face reminding myself that I'm okay. For now.

My eyes trail down to my broken ankle wondering if it will heal as well. It's still bent in an awkward angle and constantly throbs with a dull pain. But it's better. Bree helped me clean it up so the blood is gone. But it's scabbing over and starting to itch a little. I cringe at the black spots on the scab and the faint white from the bone underneath. I miss Sarah, she would know what to do.

Tiny tears form in my eyes but I blink them away distracting myself with something else. I look down the shore where Ayden, Sammy, Bree, Oliver, and Elliot are standing around a giant pile of branches and leaves seeming to be arguing. The raft building doesn't seem to be going so well. Sammy bends down and picks up a stick frowning and sharply points it at Ayden, his mouth moving quickly and eyes narrowed.

The crashing of the ocean waves are too loud so I can't hear them. I'm pretty close to the salty water that crawls desperately up the sand. The swooshing of the waves cut out all over sounds around me. I enjoy it while I can because they can be loud when arguing. But I wish Ayden wouldn't pick fights with everyone and question the orders Levi gives us.

Though I've noticed he's gotten a little better after his time with Levi in the jungle. I just hope it's enough to change. He shouldn't live his life depressed or in pain for any longer. This island is our second chance. We can start over here and be reborn into something new.

Bree points at Ayden then at Oliver looking furious, then she violently kicks the sticks seeming to be throwing some kind of fit. Elliot stands off to the side watching silently, not understanding what's going on. Ayden throws his arms up and turns seeming to shun them for a second. I can just faintly hear their voices and no surprise, they're yelling at each other.

Then in the corner of my eye I see Leigh walking out from the plane. Her long brown hair is tied up in a ponytail and her murky green eyes distant. Ayden and Levi's mother. It seems like no one is really talking to her, almost ignoring her. It's almost strange to have an adult now. She doesn't say much but she reminds us that we are still civilized people. I fear that if she hadn't shown up when she did, we would be going crazy and probably dead.

Leigh has a mother's respect about her. I feel drawn to her loving energy and compassion. I think Ayden is going to have a lot of love in the future, now that he has his mom. If she were any different it wouldn't go well, but her unending love will transform his dark heart. I hope that mine will too. I just want to help him, I don't want him to suffer any longer. He needs to know people love him.

Just then, I see Levi, Jenny, Teren, and Shane emerge from the thick treeline carrying... bananas? My eyes widen with curiosity, yearning to jump up and run over. But I sadly I can't. I turn my body and lean forward on my arms trying to get a better look. They found food! My heart skips a beat with excitement feeling my empty stomach growl at me like an animal. I feel the need to shush it but I don't for the sake of my dwindling sanity.