Chapter 26-Samuel Hunts

**Thanks for the 17.9 K views! So as promised, here is your update my dear Survivors!**

I sit staring distantly at the horizon of the pure blue ocean. The waves rising and fall and run up the slope of sand of the beach. I bite my lip, pulling off the tiny skin that covers it. My hands have dug down into the squishy, soft sand and clutching it loosely. My legs are laid out in front of me and my feet sticking up towards the sky uncovered. My socks and shoes rolled down the sandy slope leaving snake trails behind them.

My feet are sandy and cracked from running and walking around so much. They are also a bit damp but the sun is drying them off slowly. The edges of my jeans are wet and also covered in sand because I walked along the shore for a little while. The cool rush of water over my feet felt good and probably helped with the smell. Jenny started to joke and complain that I smelled like a foot locker, but considering I could smell it means it was really bad.

I usually can't smell my own stink and Mom has to tell me to shower and put on deodorant. Had. I frown slightly as I continue to bite my lip, feeling that familiar grief come over me. Mom and Dad died in the crash leaving me with Jenny. Knowing I can't show any weakness here, I put on a mask of blankness. Just until later. I can't believe it's already been three days since we've been stuck here. And two people already died.

I think back to Sarah and Lukas and reminded of the battle we fought to save them. I close my eyes letting the memories numb themselves, reminding myself that it wasn't as bad as it was. That I was in the right for killing that man. I did it to protect Jenny and everyone else. He was going to kill us with no hesitation so I couldn't hesitate. I had to be more violent. I had to be faster and stronger. And I was. In fact, I had no idea it was so easy to kill a man.

A sick feeling spread in my stomach along with heavy guilt. What if that man had family somewhere? He had to be forty... he could have kids, maybe even grandkids. But they probably thought he was dead since he was stuck on the island long enough to turn into some kind of mutant animal thing. Maybe he was suffering and I put him out of his misery. Yeah, I did him a favor.

A strange question runs through my mind, "Would I be arrested for murder when we go back to the mainland?" That thought scares me into thinking I'm going to be hunted by the police. I can't do that to Jenny, she's suffering enough with the death of our parents. I can tell she's trying to distract herself. Focusing all her energy on surviving and Levi. Though I can tell she really likes him, but part of it is her need to be distracted.

She's been acting differently. She usually isn't this nice. Yeah she's a nice girl but to this point? She's acting like Miss. Perfect again which shows something's wrong. She's crumbling on the inside, I know she is. Because I am too. I'm more violent than before and I even feel free to do whatever I want with no rules or morals to stop me. A wild child. The urge to punch Ayden in the face is a little normal, but to attack him? It seems like the island isn't only changing my body.

I open my eyes again to see the sunlit world, knowing that my thoughts will only make me depressed and question life. Which sucks. So I decide to do something. I used to be a bit lazy but now all I want to do is help. Help build that stupid shelter. Help gather supplies. Help guard in the night and day. It's my distraction.

I pull my hands up from the depths of the sand watching it all slip from my hands. I smack my hands together and brush them off before standing up again. I grab my socks and shoes and yank them on quickly, finding myself almost desperate to keep moving. Levi made us take a break for a while, due to Oliver's mental breakdown. And Jenny's before that.

One by one we are being taken by grief and fear. Who's next?

Jenny's breakdown was more low key compared to Oliver's which surprised me. She's always a bit emotional but I don't judge Oliver. Turns out he lost his parents and his younger sister when the plane crashed. I could be him if Jenny died during the crash. Oliver's cool and pretty funny, but to see him break down like that is a bit scary. It means anyone can snap. Even me.