Chapter Ten

~Sierra Sparks~

I wake up, shivering as I lie alone. As quick as he came he was gone. I am alone… once again. I roll in my bed looking over to see my clock says 11 am… Wow, I really slept in. I’ve never gotten so much sleep.

I got sleep as because of Austin. The dangerous boy with a heart… I’ll say it. He has a heart. As hard as it is to find it… it’s there. This makes my attraction towards him stronger. Austin Mahone is on my mind. 24/7.

I get up, stretching out my arms and heading downstairs. I scratch the back of my neck as I hear a murmuring between my mom and a guy. I wonder who she’s talking to? I walk down much slower though as fear strikes through me.

Do you think it’s that guy Rocco!?!? He must’ve found out I have the CD. Wait, did Austin find it? I run back up and straight to the CDs. I notice the Mix Tape one on top, so I open it up to find…

It’s still there.

I sigh with relief, putting it back in the middle and heading back down the stairs.

I listen to hear my mom talking to the guy in the kitchen. His voice sounds familiar too, making my skin crawl. Who is down there? My pace goes slower, and my foot steps are quiet. I don’t want them to stop talking. I want to overhear their conversation.

As I get to the bottom, everything sounds clearer.

“So Austin, any special girl in your life?” My mom asks. She’s talking to Austin? I thought Austin left. Did she catch Austin in my room? Oh no. She’ll get so mad. I thought I locked the door.

Austin lets out a soft chuckle, making my heart race. I can feel goose bumps arriving on my arms because his chuckle gives me chill. His voice gives me chills. Everything about him makes me get all giddy. I didn’t want that.

“Not at the moment, Mrs. Sparks,” he says, politely causing me to smile softly. He is so polite… I never knew that about him. He just seems like he gets angry all the time and a boy my parents would hate. He obviously is a boy you can take home to your parents.

“Well, my daughter is available,” she suggests, making me get all embarrassed. I can feel my face turn as red as a tomato. She did not just suggest Austin go for me. Oh dear god. She would. I wonder if dad knows about his.

“But I’m sure you will find someone even better,” my mom continues, causing my smile to falter. And it’s too good to be true. She just tears me down in front of him. So I’m not good enough for him? That’s great to know mom… Can’t believe you just said that to the boy I like.

No! I basically scream it at myself. No. I don’t like him. I’m just being young and stupid. I’m ending up like every other girl… I fall for him, get used, and it’s over with. I didn’t want that with him. Or anyone for that matter.

“You’re daughter is way out of my league, Mrs. Sparks. All of the guys love her; she’s a really nice girl. She’s extremely beautiful too,” he gushes. I can feel myself smiling uncontrollably. He basically just stood up for me once again. And against my mom! First his ‘Crew’ now my mom. What is up with this boy?

My mom just laughs. This is funny to her? People actually like me and she can’t stand it! It drives me insane to know my mom doesn’t care the slightest bit for me. All she wants to do is cause problems. She doesn’t want me to be happy for once.

“You don’t have to say that,” she says, and I can just imagine her touching his arm politely.

“I’m not just saying it. I’m saying it because I mean it,” he says, strongly before I’m surprised he continues, “You’re daughter brings a new light to this town and I quite enjoy her company. She’s smart, beautiful, funny, caring… I could go on all day. She’s the total package for any guy.”

Why is he saying this stuff? Why is he doing this? What did I do to deserve this from him of all people? Why me? Seriously, let’s just ask ourselves. Why me? What’s so special about me to see this side of Austin?

I decide to head back up and then walk back down with loud footsteps so they know I’m coming down. But not too loud to make it obvious that I probably am faking it. I don’t want him to know I was listening because he probably didn’t mean what he said. He just said it because he was annoyed with my mom. Why would he mean those things? He’s him.

Sierra, you know he is an amazing guy who’s interested in you. Just accept that maybe he’s changing because he met you.

Oh shush up! You’re wrong.

I smile as I walk into the kitchen and acted surprised when I see Austin, “What are you uh doing here?”

He smiles at me, my mom raising her eyebrows at us. I am just as confused. “I came to pick you up for our day together,” he says, smiling wide at me. Just Austin and I. I can feel myself getting nervous, but I nod. I need to act cool. I’m pretty good at hiding my feelings. I just can’t look someone in the eyes when I get nervous or when I’m lying. Sometimes I can when I lie, sometimes I can’t. Mostly I can’t.

“Now go get ready and take as long as you need. I’ll still be here,” he says, sending me a soft smile. It drives my insides insane and I know that I’m falling for him. I can’t fall for the bad boy next door.