Chapter Twenty Four

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

I step into the hallway and bite my lip, exhaling all of my…frustration. I hear Louis coming into the hallway and I continue on down the stairs, there are just too many emotions coursing through me and I need to step away from them for a while and clear my head. I’m sick of fighting and that’s why I didn’t get into it with him about his affair with Gemma. There’s a part of me that’s furious with him, but another part is true to what I said, I don’t want to waste any more time being angry or resentful. Peter is still out there and anything could happen at any moment. I run my hands through my hair and take a deep breath, pushing away the intense feeling of longing coursing through my body. That was the other thing about this, I want him more than I want to feel angry with him. I reach the bottom of the stairs and see Detective Morgan standing in the entryway dressed in another pant suit, her arms folded tightly across her chest. She looks tired, her body tense and rigid. I stand a few inches away and clasp my hands behind my back, hoping the flush in my cheeks has gone away. Louis comes up behind me and my body tingles. She forces a smile and focuses her eyes on me.

“The car you identified was spotted few miles from here a little over and hour ago.” She says in a serious voice. My heart lifts as a knot forms in the pit of my stomach.

“That was fast.” I say in a breathy voice. Louis shifts next to me, his arm brushing mine. We’re both still charged from our near-sex-experience.

“Don’t sound so surprised, I have a great team behind me. They know how to do their job and do it effectively.” She says in a defensive tone she tries to pass of as authoritative.

“Wait, slow down, what car?” Louis says. It was such a minor detail at the time that I didn’t mention it.

I turn and look at him. “I saw a black car with tinted windows on the street outside when I was walking to work yesterday.” I say in a hurried voice. He nods once and turns his attention back to Detective Morgan, letting the conversation continue.

“So what now?” I ask her. She adjusts her stance a little, spreading her legs and sticking her pelvis forward, trying to look commanding.

“We’re placing officers all around the area in the hope that we can track him down and bring him in for questioning.” I nod along as I listen to her, unable to reach a feeling of finality. She talks as if this is almost over, but I know it isn’t.

“You came down here to tell me that?” I ask. Her lips twitch in annoyance and she licks her lips.

“I came down here because I’m leading the movement and I’ll be out of reach for an indefinite amount of time. I thought you’d like to hear the news from me.” She was making a nice gesture but she won’t admit it.

“Thank you, we appreciate it.” Louis says in a kind voice.

She continues on, barely acknowledging his comment. “Also, I strongly advise you to stay in the house for the next few days. If Peter is still in the area, he might come back here. Like I said before, there will be 24 hour surveillance on the house so if anything goes wrong you won’t be on your own.” She drops her hands at her sides and gives me a stern look.